|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For the similar unit in Age of Empires II, see War Galley (Age of Empires II).|
|Rate of Fire||Fast|
|Upgraded From||Scout Ship|
|Cost to Upgrade||300 Food|
- Woodworking increases range by 1.
- Artisanship increases range by 1.
- Alchemy increases attack by 1.
- Ballistics increases accuracy.
- Craftsmanship increases range by 1.
- War Galley can be upgraded to Trireme
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Greeks: War Galleys move 30% faster.
- Minoans: War Galleys cost 30% less wood.
- Hittites: War Galleys have +4 range.
- Yamato: War Galleys have 30% more HP.
- Macedonians: War Galleys are four times more resistant against conversion.
Ancient ship designers tried numerous tricks to get more power for warships, including putting more men on single oars. The most successful design was the Bireme, an ancient warship devised by the Phoenicians. This ship is a precursor to the Trireme and features two tiers of single rowers per side. This ship provided reasonable maneuverability and speed. It appeared around 1000 BC and made up the bulk of Mediterranean navies for several hundred years after around 600 BC.
Unit Evolution: War Galley
|Scout Ship --> War Galley --> Trireme|
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Naval||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaut|
|The Rise of Rome expansion|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|