|This article is about the the Battles of the Conquerors map. For the random map in Age of Mythology, see Vinlandsaga.|
|Campaign||Battles of the Conquerors|
|Course of Campaign|
Vindlandsaga is a campaign map of the Battles of the Conquerors. You play as Erik the Red (red), and must go to Vindland and establish a new colony. This is made more difficult by the fact that you have limited resources. This scenario is based on the Saga of Erik the Red.
Scenario Instructions Edit
Starting Conditions Edit
- Starting age: Dark Age
- Starting resources: 200 Wood, 300 Food, 200 Gold, 300 Stone
- Population limit: 75
- Starting units:
- Gaia units: None
- Erik the Red must survive.
- Transport Erik the Red west across the ocean to the New World and establish a colony there.
Later Objectives Edit
- The Vikings must build a Town Center, a Market, and 12 Houses in the New World.
- 1. Resources in Norway will run out soon. You must colonize other lands to keep the Viking civilization prosperous.
- 2. Skalds tells of an ocean where worms eat away at the hulls of wooden ships.
- 3. The Vikings may advance only to the Castle Age.
- Your scouts report: The Vikings under Erik the Red (red) have few buildings and only a handful of Berserks to defend themselves from ravenous wolves. Although you are safe from attack for the moment, Vikings from Greenland may raid your shores.
- The British (blue) have little in the way of a standing army so they are ripe for raiding.
- Greenland (green) is more of a mystery, though it is known that the Vikings there have many Longships.
- A race of wildmen (purple) are rumored to live in the New World.
- British (Britons) controls the British Isles, just southwest of the player's initial base in Norway. They have two Markets which the player can destroy to earn 1100 gold for each. They only defend themselves with Archers.
- Skraelings (Celts) are on the western tip of the map, in North America. They only have Woad Raiders and Militias, and despite owning a Town Center, they do not produce Villagers.
Enemy → AllyEdit
- Greenland (Vikings) is to the north, and frequently attacks the player with Longboats. As they surrender to the player's invasion, they would immediately ally with the player, showing the "Sea of Worms", before resigning.
As with all games begin by building an economy, however, unlike all games (in Standard mode you have a Castle, but in Moderate you have more stone) you will have to deal with buffed out wolves and Viking raiders early in the game. On moderate it is recommended to build four or five towers to deal with the attacks of Greenland. When you have built up a small force (preferably non-gold units), you should attack the British (blue) to the southwest. They have next to no military and you should easily destroy their base. If you destroy their Markets, you will receive a tribute of gold (it is important to note that your gold is significantly limited), which will let you train and upgrade soldiers and ships. Go for Longboats and Berserks first then focus on cavalry and archers next. Then, sail to the northwest and attack Greenland (green), another group of Vikings. They have built numerous towers along their shore, so focus all (naval included) on a tower to easily knock it down and establish a base. Greenland has Gold Mines, meaning you can most likely afford to be fully upgraded before heading for the New World. If the you defeat the Greenland Vikings, then just before they will resign they will become the player's ally and will reveal the whole Sea of Worms to you. Make sure you do not run into the Greenland castles they will have built in their town
To win the campaign you must sail to the west and settle the New World. Build 12 houses, a market, and a town center. The first thing to build is the town center so you can easily defeat the Skraelings infantry when they attack. The Skraelings themselves are not very strong, they just have numbers and are a mere distraction. You should be able to put away the Skraelings if you beat Greenland.
Rush version Edit
As soon as you have the resources build a dock and 3-5 transports to move Erik and the villagers into the transports and move them to where Greenland's tip meets the Sea of Worms. If you carefully maneuver your transport ship close along the coast, you can actually get across the Sea of Worms without having to even touch Greenland. Sail over the New World and erect a castle with your starting stone. Then a town center and the rest of the buildings, as the Skraelings are cut down by the castle.
- The Sea of Worms is shaped like a sea serpent.
- Only the player's (Erik the Red) units would be destroyed by the Sea of Worms. This probably explains why Greenland could show the whole sea after allying with the player, for they may have explored the whole sea.
- Ornlu the Wolf from the Genghis Khan campaign will spawn and attack the player's town once a Blacksmith is constructed.
- Near the southernmost point on the map there is a Skraeling Woad Raider Unit named "Lonely Hermit."
- Bug: Due to the way the attack of Ornlu is triggered, any Deer that wanders too close to your Outpost may become hostile and attack it. The Deer's texture changes to that of a gazelle from Age of Empires.
- According to the accounts in the Saga, it was Erik the Red's son, Leif Erikson, and not Erik himself, who led the expedition to North America.
- Iceland is not on the map.
- Also, Greenland's geography is depicted highly inaccurately in game; just one forest exists, to the very south and is a few acres in size, in a valley named Qinngua Valley. The vast mainland of the island is composed of ice.
- These have been done for balance reasons; to avoid making the island too open and the player's effort too easy, while also offering the Greenlanders some wood to use.