Villagers are once again working as the backbone for every civilization in Age of Empires II. This time there are both males and females which randomly appear from the Town Center. Other than the addition of both genders, the Villager is the same and does all the tasks he (and now she) did in Age of Empires, which where constructing buildings and gathering resources with the addition of the new task Herding.
Villager Age Dark Age Trained at Town Center Type Civilian Cost 50 Food HP 25 Attack 3 Armor 0 Pierce
0 Speed Medium
In Age of Empire II every civilization except the Chinese and Mayans start with three Villagers. These Villagers can be upgraded with the Loom and Sappers Technology; Spanish players can also research Supremacy, which increases their overall fighting skills. However, Villagers make poor workers in battlefield conditions as they will stop whatever they are doing when attacked; however, they are useful when kept in the rear of an army to repair damaged siege weapons. They are also the only units that can gather food from deer and boar when killing them.
Villagers can be assigned with different tasks which also changes their name to the corresponding job they are doing.
- Builder builds buildings
- Farmer gathers food from Farm
- Fisherman gathers food from fish schools near shore.
- Forager gathers food from bushes
- Lumberjack - gathers Wood from trees
- Miner gathers Gold and Stone from their corresponding mines.
- Herder herds Sheep near Town Center or Mill, kills and gathers Food from them.
- Hunter kills and gathers food from wild animals
- Repairer repairs buildings, boats and siege units
- If not being assigned into any task, they will remain "Villagers". They will also be renamed Villagers if they are tasked to attack an enemy building or unit.
If being attacked, hunters and villagers have an increased attack strength.
Buildings which the villagers can build from Dark Age are:
From Feudal Age:
From Castle Age:
From Imperial Age:
Town Center provides:
- Loom is likely the first technology to be researched by any player starting in the Dark Age. Costing 50 gold, Loom massively increases villagers' survivability by giving them +1 armor, +2 pierce armor, and +15 health.
- Wheelbarrow makes villagers move +10% faster and carry +25% more resourcers.
- Hand Cart further makes villagers move +10% faster and carry +50% more resources.
Lumber Camp provides:
- Double-Bit Axe makes villagers gather wood +20% faster.
- Bow Saw further makes villagers gather wood +20% faster.
- Two-Man Saw further makes villagers gather wood +10% faster. Not available for Aztecs, Celts, Franks and Mongols.
Mining Camp provides:
- Gold Mining makes villagers gather gold +15% faster.
- Gold Shaft Mining further makes villagers gather +15% faster. Not available for Goths, Japanese, Mayans Spanish and Teutons.
- Stone Mining makes villagers gather stone +15% faster.
- Stone Shaft Mining further makes villagers gather stone +15% faster. Not available for Britons, Franks, Huns, Japanese, Saracens, Turks and Vikings.
- Treadmill Crane causes villagers to construct buildings 20% quicker. Not available for Britons, Byzantines, Chinese, Japanese, Mongols, Persians, Spanish and Vikings.
- Sappers enables villagers to do +15 damage against any building when ordered to attack one. Not available for Byzantines, Franks, Japanese, Koreans and Saracens.
- Supremacy further increases a villager's combat prowess, granting them +40 hit points, +6 attack strength and +2 armor/pierce armor levels. Only available to the Spanish.
- Faith makes villagers 50% harder to convert.
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Aztec villagers carry +5 resources.
- Briton villagers gather 25% faster from herdables.
- Celtish villagers gather wood 15% faster, herdables cannot be stolen within a unit's Line of Sight.
- Chinese start with +3 villagers, but with -200 Food .
- Gothic villagers have +5 attack vs. wild boar, carry +15 meat.
- Korean villagers have +3 Line of Sight.
- Mayans start with +1 villager, but with -50 Food , natural resources last 20% longer.
- Mongol villagers gather 50% faster from huntables.
- Spanish villagers build 30% faster.
- Turkish villagers gather gold 15% faster.
- Villagers in a team containing Teutons are more resistant to conversion.
What certain civilizations cannot build:
- Aztecs cannot build Stables, Keeps and Bombard Towers.
- Britons, Celts, Japanese and Saracens cannot build Bombard Towers.
- Franks, Mongols and Vikings cannot build Keeps and Bombard Towers.
- Goths cannot build Guard Towers, Keeps, Bombard Towers, Stone Walls, Fortified Walls and Gates.
- Huns cannot build Houses, Guard Towers, Keeps, Bombard Towers and Fortified Walls.
- Mayans cannot build Stables and Bombard Towers.
- Persians cannot build Keeps, Bombard Towers and Fortified Walls.
Male villagers attack slightly faster then female ones.