|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For villager units in other games of the series, see Villager.|
Villagers can be assigned with different tasks which also changes their name to the corresponding job they are doing.
- Builder - builds buildings
- Farmer - gathers food from Farm
- Fisherman - gathers Food from fish schools near shore.
- Forager - gathers Food from bushes
- Woodcutter - gathers wood from trees
- Miner - gathers gold and stone from their corresponding mines.
- Hunter - kills and gathers Food from animals
- Repairman - repairs buildings and boats.
- If they are attacking enemies or remain idle, they will remain as "Villagers"
When attacked, hunters and villagers have an increased attack strength if Zealotry is researched. But as a consequence, their gathering capacity is decreased by 50%.
Villager can build the following buildings:
- Government Center, Temple, additional Town Centers, Siege Workshop, Academy, Sentry Tower, Medium Wall
- Woodworking increases the gather rate of wood cutting.
- Artisanship further increases the gather rate of wood cutting.
- Craftsmanship further increases the gather rate of wood cutting.
- Stone Mining increases the gather rate of stone mining.
- Siegecraft further increases the gather rate of stone and also enables Villagers to attack walls and buildings which they are otherwise unable to.
- Gold Mining increases the gather rate of gold mining.
- Coinage further increases the gather rate of gold mining.
- Wheel increases movement speed.
Government Center provides:
- Architecture increases the building speed.
- Zealotry (formerly named Jihad) increases strength.
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Assyrians and Yamato: Villagers move 10% faster.
- Egyptians: Villagers gather gold 20% more efficiently.
- Sumerians: Villagers have +15 hit points.
- Babylonians: Villagers gather stone 30% more efficiently.
- Persians: Villagers gather food from hunted animals 30% more efficiently.
- Phoenicians: Villagers gather wood 15% more efficiently.
- Shang: Villagers are 20% cheaper
- Macedonians: Villagers have +2 Line of Sight and are four times more resistant to conversion.
- Palmyrans: Villagers costs 50% more food but have +1 armor and work 25% faster.
Definitive Edition Edit
- Hunters work 5% faster than before (previously they were as slow as Foragers).
- Gold and stone miners work 15% faster (to compensate bug fixes to technologies).
- Zealotry (formerly named Jihad): Villager carry capacity penalty more consistent for different villager types; villager speed bonus to +10%.
- Siegecraft: Villager bonus attack vs walls and towers slightly reduced.
- Wheel researched slower (+15 sec.).
- Assyrian and Yamato Villagers now move 10% faster (down from 18%)
- Palmyran Villagers work 25% faster for all tasks (previously 20% faster for some tasks, 0% faster for others).
- Their weapon (when fighting enemy units) looks like a bone from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age. When Iron Age is researched, this is replaced by a weapon that looks like a fork, whose animation speed seems faster (despite the attacking speed being the same).
"Most people of ancient times lived out their lives working to make a living, primarily as hunters, gatherers, and fishermen originally, and later as farmers and herders. The agricultural revolution that began around 8000 BC freed more and more people from the daily pursuit of sustenance as food production became more dependable and efficient. New specialists included potters, metalworkers, builders, scribes, leather workers, woodworkers, traders, and professional soldiers. By the end of the ancient period, food production employed less than half the population within civilized culture."—The Age of Empires manual
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|