|This article is about the Villager in Age of Empires. For the Villager in other games of the series, see Villager.|
|Trained at||Town Center|
|Rate of Fire||Very Fast|
Villagers can be assigned with different tasks which also changes their name to the corresponding job they are doing.
- Builder - builds buildings
- Farmer - gathers food from Farm
- Fisherman - gathers Food from fish schools near shore.
- Forager - gathers Food from bushes
- Woodcutter - gathers wood from trees
- Miner - gathers gold and stone from their corresponding mines.
- Hunter - kills and gathers Food from animals
- Repairman - repairs buildings and boats.
- If they are attacking enemies or remain idle, they will remain as "Villagers"
When attacked, hunters and villagers have an increased attack strength if Jihad is researched.
Villager can build the following buildings:
- Government Center, Temple, Additional Town Centers, Siege Workshop, Academy, Sentry Tower, Medium Wall
- Woodworking increases the gather rate of wood cutting.
- Artisanship further increases the gather rate of wood cutting. Not available for Persians.
- Craftsmanship further increases the gather rate of wood cutting. Not available for Macedonians, Palmyrans, Persians and Sumerians.
- Stone Mining increases the gather rate of stone mining.
- Siegecraft further increases the gather rate of stone and also enables villagers to attack walls and buildings which they are otherwise unable to. Not available for Carthaginians, Egyptians, Macedonians, Persians, Phoenicians and Shang.
- Gold Mining increases the gather rate of gold mining
- Coinage further increases the gather rate of gold mining. Not available for Egyptians, Palmyrans, Persians, Shang and Sumerians.
- Wheel increases movement speed. Not available for Macedonians and Persians
Government Center provides with:
Temple provides with:
- Jihad increases strength. Not available for Greeks, Hittites, Macedonians, Minoans, Sumerians and Yamato.
Civilization Bonuses Edit
Some civilizations' Villagers have bonuses for some of their tasks.
- Assyrians and Yamato: Villagers move 30% faster.
- Egyptians: Villagers gather gold 20% more efficiently.
- Sumerians: Villagers have +15 hit points.
- Babylonians: Villagers gather stone 30% more efficiently.
- Persians: Villagers gather food from hunted animals 30% more efficiently.
- Phoenicians: Villagers gather wood 30% more efficiently (this was reduced to 15% after the Age of Empires v1.0c / Rise of Rome v1.0a patch.).
- Shang: Villagers are 30% cheaper (this was reduced to 20% after the Age of Empires v1.0c / Rise of Rome v1.0a patch.).
- Macedonians: Villagers have +2 line of sight and are four times more resistant to conversion.
- Palmyrans: Villagers costs 50% more food but have +1 armor and work 10% faster.
What certain civilizations cannot build:
- Minoans and Yamato: Villagers cannot build Fortifications, Guard Towers and Ballista Towers.
- Persians: Villagers cannot build Academies and Ballista Towers.
- Carthaginians: Villagers cannot build Fortifications.
- Shang: Villagers cannot build Ballista Towers.
- Romans: Villagers cannot build Guard Towers and Ballista Towers.
- Macedonians: Villagers cannot build Fortifications and Temples.
Definitive Edition Edit
- Hunters work 5% faster than before (previously they were as slow as Foragers).
- Gold and stone miners work 15% faster (to compensate bug fixes to technologies).
- Zealotry (renamed Jihad): Villager carry capacity penalty more consistent for different villager types; villager speed bonus to +10%.
- Siegecraft: Villager bonus attack vs walls and towers slightly reduced.
- Wheel researched slower (+15 sec.).
- Assyrian and Yamato Villagers now move 10% faster (down from 18%)
- Palmyran Villagers work 25% faster for all tasks (previously 20% faster for some tasks, 0% faster for others).
- Their weapon (when fighting enemy units) looks like a bone from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age. When Iron Age is researched, this is replaced by a weapon that looks like a fork, whose animation speed seems faster (despite the attacking speed being the same).
Most people of ancient times lived out their lives working to make a living, primarily as hunters, gatherers, and fishermen originally, and later as farmers and herders. The agricultural revolution that began around 8000 BC freed more and more people from the daily pursuit of sustenance as food production became more dependable and efficient. New specialists included potters, metalworkers, builders, scribes, leather workers, woodworkers, traders, and professional soldiers. By the end of the ancient period, food production employed less than half the population within civilized culture.
— The Age of Empires manual
See also Edit
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Naval||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaut|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|