The following is an overview of all units from Age of Empires II and all its expansions.
The following units are available in any regular game. Note that not all of these units are available to all civilizations, unless the All Techs option is checked. To see which civilization can train which units, see Technology Tree.
Nine different buildings can train units.
Town Center Edit
The Town Center is the most important of all buildings, and trains the most important unit.
- Militia → Man-at-Arms → Long Swordsman → Two-Handed Swordsman → Champion
- Spearman → Pikeman → Halberdier
- Eagle Scout → Eagle Warrior → Elite Eagle Warrior
- Condottiero (Italians and allies only)
- Huskarl (Goths only after researching Anarchy)
Archery Range Edit
- Archer → Crossbowman → Arbalest
- Skirmisher → Elite Skirmisher → Imperial Skirmisher (the latter Vietnamese and allies only)
- Cavalry Archer → Heavy Cavalry Archer
- Hand Cannoneer
- Slinger (Incas only)
- Genitour → Elite Genitour (Berbers and allies only)
- Scout Cavalry → Light Cavalry → Hussar
- Knight → Cavalier → Paladin
- Camel → Heavy Camel → Imperial Camel (the latter Indians only)
- Battle Elephant → Elite Battle Elephant
- Tarkan → Elite Tarkan (Huns only after researching Marauders)
Siege Workshop Edit
- Battering Ram → Capped Ram → Siege Ram
- Mangonel → Onager → Siege Onager
- Scorpion → Heavy Scorpion
- Bombard Cannon
- Siege Tower
The Monastery trains and improves Monks.
The Market is center of trade and trains the only available land trade unit.