|This article is about the unit in Age of Mythology. For the unit in Age of Empires, see Trireme (Age of Empires).|
Triremes are critical in gaining control of water as they are the only warship available in the Classical Age. They are also effective in sinking enemy transports. Once in the Heroic Age they will need support from other warships in order to be effective. They deal bonus damage against Hammer Ships and Transport Ships. Siege Ships will destroy them easily. Naval myth units and coastal siege weapons are also a large threat.
Attack Bonuses Edit
- Arrow Ship Cladding increases hit points by 20%, attack by 10% and range by 4.
- Trierarch (Artemis) reduces crush vulnerability by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack and crush vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Burning Pitch gives +15% attack and triple damage to buildings.
- Conscript Sailors decreases training time by 20%.
- Heroic Fleet increases attack vs myth units by 50%.
Age of Mythology Edit
- The Trireme's range is 12.
The Titans Edit
- Range is changed to 16.
Extended Edition Edit
- Range is changed to 14.
- The emblem featured in their sails is the Vergina Sun, an ancient emblem of the Argead Dynasty of Macedon.
This oared galley propelled the classical Greek city states, and Athens in particular, into a naval power. The trireme (trieres in Greek) was named because the oarsmen were stationed at 3 levels, allowing more men to fit on a smaller ship. A standard trireme was about 120 ft long, and manned by over 150 oarsmen. the ships could cover about 180 nautical miles at a constant speed of 7.5 knots. They also had square sails, which could not always be used on the temperamental Mediterranean Sea. During the wars with Persia, Athens alone commanded over 200 of these ships.