It is worth noting that the Spanish, despite lacking Treadmill Crane, have the fastest builders in the game due to their civilization bonus that gives them +30% working speed. However, they do not benefit from their bonus in Wonder Race games because Wonders are built at a fixed time for all civilizations.
Team bonuses Edit
A team containing Malians: Researching Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Treadmill Crane costs 200W/300S.
- Goths: Can research Treadmill Crane.
- Japanese: Cannot research Treadmill Crane.
- Vikings: Cannot research Treadmill Crane.
The Conquerors Edit
- From patch 1.0c onwards, Treadmill Crane costs 300F/200W.
- Huns: Can research Treadmill Crane.
The Forgotten Edit
- Goths:Treadmill Crane removed from the technology tree.
- Huns: Treadmill Crane removed from the technology tree.
- Vikings: Treadmill Crane added to the technology tree.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Japanese: With patch 4.8, Treadmill Crane is added to the technology tree.
The construction of castles, cathedrals, and other major building projects required the invention of new techniques, as well as the re-discovery of ancient technologies. A critical tool known to the ancients but lost to the Europeans of the Dark Ages was the crane. The simple crane was a long pole with block and tackle gear that was used to pull loads to a height. The treadmill crane was an improvement over the simple version. It used a large circular treadmill upon which men walked. Gears converted the horizontal circular motion into vertical turning, providing power to wind ropes around a drum and pull up heavy loads. A variation of the treadmill crane employed a capstan that men could push against, like those used on sailing ships to raise anchors.