The Rickshaw is a category of special units in Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties.
Trade Route version Edit
This version of the Rickshaw is similar to the Travois in American maps, automatically traveling the length of a trade route at a speed of 4.25 before the route is upgraded to carry Trade Carts (the Asian version of the Stagecoach) or locomotives.
The Rickshaw only delivers experience along a trade route, moves slowly compared to its upgraded versions, and does not offer any Line of Sight. It belongs to 'Mother Nature' (Gaia) and cannot be controlled by players.
There are two different models for the Rickshaw's handlers, an Indian one (available in the Deccan map) and a generic Asian, available to all the rest Asian maps.
Trainable version Edit
It is only available to Asian civilizations and is similar to the Travois and Covered Wagon. Both are unbuildable, gained by Aging or Home City shipments and can construct a Building. Rickshaws are the only source of Cherry Orchards for the Japanese and Mango Groves for the Indians.
There are many different types of Rickshaws, depending on the type of building they intend to construct:
- Castle Rickshaw
- Consulate Rickshaw
- Dock Rickshaw
- Dojo Rickshaw (only for the Japanese)
- Grove Rickshaw (only for the Indians)
- Market Rickshaw
- Military Rickshaw (constructs a military building of the player's choice)
- Monastery Rickshaw
- Orchard Rickshaw (only for the Japanese)
- Rice Paddy Rickshaw
- Sacred Field Rickshaw (only for the Indians)
- Trading Post Rickshaw
- Village Rickshaw (only for the Chinese)
- Oddly, Military, Monastery, Trading Post, and Village Rickshaws use the Covered Wagon model, instead of a Rickshaw one. This is probably an oversight on behalf of the designers.