This artistic manuscript depicts an image of a Persian palace under Faravahar. This spirit above the palace is the symbol of their official religion, Zoroastrianism.
| Age of Empires|
|Features||War Elephants and Elephant Archers move 20% faster
Villagers hunt food 30% faster
Trireme rate of fire +25%
Persia refers to an ancient Middle-Eastern kingdom ruled by the inhabitants, known as the Persians which was primarily based on the Achaemenid Empire located roughly in present-day Iran. The civilization reached its peak under Persian king Xerxes, but slowly fell apart following the conquest of Alexander the Great which occurred just after the Persian naval defeat at Salamis in an attempt to conquer the Greek city states.
The Persians are a playable civilization in Age of Empires and are strictly an offensive civilization which illustrates their rapid expansion of their empire under Cyrus the Great. They can train a variety of elite units and have the best cavalry units in the game. They have the ability to train all archers (except Chariots), though their archers can suffer from poor range and lack of accuracy. Although the Persians have a fast economy from the beginning of the game, their economic power becomes less prominent once the game progresses.
AI Player Names Edit
Names shown in italics are only used in the original game, names shown in bold are used in both the original game and its expansions.
- Cyrus - Cyrus I, king of Anshan c. 600-580 BC
- Darius - Darius (I) the Great, king of Persia 522-486 BC
- Cyrus II - Cyrus the Great, king of Persia 559-530 BC
- Darius II - King of Persia 423-405 BC
- Xerxes - King of Persia 486-465 BC
- Xerxes II - King of Persia 424 BC
- Cyrus III - Did not exist in Persia
- Cambyses - King of Anshan 580-559 BC (Cambyses I); King of Persia 530-522 BC (II)
- Datis - Median admiral under Darius I, leader of Persian forces during the Persian Wars
- Bessus - King of Persia 330-329 BC
- Mardonius - Persian military commander during the Persian Wars, lived ?-479 BC, died in *Battle of Plataea
- Spitamenes - Sogdian warlord, leader of the Sogdian and Bactrian uprising against *Alexander the Great, lived 370-328 BC
- Artaphernes - Brother of Darius I and satrap of Sardis; His son, also Arthaphernes, was military commander under Darius I, leader of Persian forces during the Persian Wars