|Introduced in||The Forgotten|
|Research time||40 seconds|
|Effect||Foot archers +1/+1 armor|
Pavise works the same way as any other archer-based Blacksmith technology and should be acquired as soon as possible if the player relies mainly on Archers and Genoese Crossbowmen for defensive/offensive purposes.
Initially, Pavise only provided a benefit to the Genoese Crossbowman when researched. It has since been updated to affect other foot archers as well as of the The African Kingdoms, which increases its usefulness. Currently affects Arbalests, and Genoese Crossbowmen.
So which version of the game the player is using (The Forgotten or The African Kingdoms) changes the priority Pavise should be given. Originally in The Forgotten, Pavise is quite expensive and players should prefer to prioritize other upgrades or advancing to the Imperial Age.
In African Kingdoms and onwards, the cost is severely reduced and it also benefits Crossbowmen. Therefore in some situations it is a valid option to research Pavise early. However, Leather Archer Armor is still cheaper and affects more types of units and should be prioritized over Pavise.
Team bonuses Edit
The Forgotten Edit
- Pavise costs 550F/300G.
- Pavise only affects Genoese Crossbowmen.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Pavise now costs 300F/150G.
- Pavise now affects all foot archers (including Skirmishers) instead of just Genoese Crossbowmen.
- With patch 4.8, Pavise does not affect Skirmishers anymore.
- In reality, the pavise is a type of tall convex shield used by Medieval European bowmen as a sort of mobile cover for them to duck behind while not firing. Appearance-wise, the Pavise much resembles the shield carried by the Genoese Crossbowman, though the unit never seems to duck behind it while engaging an enemy, thus somewhat defeating the shield's purpose when faced with ranged adversaries.
The pavise was named after the city of Pavia, Italy. It helped protect crossbowmen and archers while they reloaded their weapons, thus keeping them safe. Smaller versions were also utilized by men-at-arms as hand-held and back-worn shields. Pavises were usually used during sieges. Crossbowmen were less vulnerable while using them.
|Age of Empires II unique technologies|
|Garland Wars | Yeomen | Logistica | Furor Celtica | Rocketry | Bearded Axe | Anarchy | Perfusion | Atheism | Kataparuto | Shinkichon | El Dorado | Drill | Mahouts | Zealotry | Supremacy | Crenellations | Artillery | Berserkergang|
|Atlatl | Warwolf | Greek Fire | Stronghold | Great Wall | Chivalry | Marauders | Andean Sling | Couriers | Sultans | Shatagni | Pavise | Silk Road | Yasama | Panokseon | Mercenaries | Recurve Bow | Obsidian Arrows | Nomads | Boiling Oil | Madrasah | Orthodoxy | Druzhina | Inquisition | Ironclad | Sipahi | Chieftains|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Kasbah | Maghrabi Camels | Tigui | Farimba | Royal Heirs | Torsion Engines | Carrack | Arquebus|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Howdah | Manipur Cavalry | Tusk Swords | Double Crossbow | Thalassocracy | Forced Levy | Chatras | Paper Money|