|Introduced in||The Age of Kings|
|Construction time||6 seconds|
|Use||Delay enemy units|
|Armor classes|| Building|
Wall and Gate
|Line of Sight||2|
"Wooden Wall that is cheap and easy to build. Slows down your enemies and warns you of their approach."—Age of Empires II description
Tactics and Placement Edit
If used cleverly against a careless opponent, Palisade Walls can make a very good field fortification, capable of buying a few seconds of time to prevent the enemy from reaching fragile units. As Goths don't have access to Stone Walls they may be forced to use Palisade Walls in some circumstances as a cheap replacement. In the case of other civilizations they can be used as a Stone Wall replacement if the player has a shortage on stone and needs to block out an area from the opponents quickly.
Palisade Walls are necessary to perform a turtling strategy in the early game. Later on, they must be replaced with the much more effective Stone Walls.
Many rushing tactics can be improved if the player sends some Villagers to support the rush and creates Palisade Walls around critically important resources (like the gold), blocking them from the enemy Villagers.
Palisade Walls can also greatly help in battles when the opponent mainly uses melee units and the own army mostly consists of ranged units. Some Walls as distraction and blockages can win deciding seconds in battles.
Further statistics Edit
|Building Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Weak vs.||Everything except Monks|
|Hit points||Great Wall (+30%, Chinese only)|
|Construction Speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Byzantines: Palisade Walls have +10%/+20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Palisade Walls are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Koreans: Palisade Walls are built 33% faster.
- Spanish: Palisade Walls are built 30% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Malians: Researching Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Mayans: Palisade Walls are 50% cheaper.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Palisade Walls take 5 seconds to build.
- Palisade Walls have 2 pierce armor.
The Conquerors Edit
- Palisade Walls now have 5 pierce armor.
The Forgotten Edit
- Palisade Walls now take 6 seconds to build.
- Palisade Gate introduced.
- Chinese: Great Wall introduced.
- Koreans: Palisade Walls are now built 33% faster.
Barbarian tribes were migrating across Europe during the Dark Ages, being displaced by other migrations from the East and searching for land to settle. Warrior bands roamed the landscape seeking plunder. In these turbulent times, defensive precautions were taken. Villages were fortified with palisades --- walls built of wood. Although stone walls were preferable, wood was abundant and easy to use, and a palisade could be erected in a fraction of the time a stone wall would take. At night the villagers would bring all their livestock, goods, and tools inside the palisade for protection.
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|Town Center · Dock · Harbor · Monastery · University · Market · Blacksmith · Wonder · Mill · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · House · Farm · Fish Trap · Feitoria|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Castle · Siege Workshop|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|