|This article is about the unit in Age of Mythology. For the similar unit in Age of Empires II, see Onager (Age of Empires II).|
|Onager (Age of Mythology)|
|Unit Type||Siege Weapon|
|-||5 (×2)||12 (×2)|
|Line of Sight||40 feet|
|Train Time||19 seconds|
The Onager is an Atlantean siege weapon in Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon, available at the Palace in the Mythic Age. The Onager functions as a hybrid between the Petrobolos and the Ballista. It fires 2 projectiles each volley.
Attack Bonus Edit
- Ships: x3
- Gates x2
- Towers x1.25
Kronos reduces Wood and Gold cost by 10%.
- Engineers +1.10 attack multiplier vs walls, +25% attack
- Draft Horses +20% speed
- Petrified (Helios) reduces hack vulnerability by 15%.
Meant to act as intermediate between the Classical Age anti-infantry Cheiroballista and the Mythic Age anti-building Fire Siphon, the Onager plays similarly to the Petrobolos, firing stones that cause great damage to ships and buildings, while also being able to cause moderate damage to human soldiers, though it's preferable to use Cheiroballistae in this role.
Unlike the Petrobolos however, it's more cost-effective, as it causes 1 extra crush damage and benefits from a Myth Technology, while costing 50 less Gold. Of course, being a ranged siege weapon means it has a minimum range that can be exploited from melee units, so it must always be escorted.
"The Onager is a Roman-style catapult on a wooden frame which launches its projectile using a sling that is forced down against high tension and then released. The name of the weapon means "wild donkey," and has been attributed to the mechanism's visual similarity to the animal's kicking hind hooves. The Atlanteans made great use of Onagers. It was their most effective artillery for besieging a city and for firing at high-density troop formations."
- The Onager was added because the Atlanteans lacked a proper long-range siege engine.
- Originally the Onager was supposed to be a Heroic Age siege weapon (According to the Protox and in an announcement)
- Engineers tech does not increases its range by 2, it is likely to be an oversight by developers.
- The Onager bears a similar appearance to the of the Ballista abeit with a Catapult arm.
- ↑ "The Atlantean Onager will be a heroic age ranged siege unit trained at the Palace. The straightforward reason we went for this is because of how the Atlantean civilization lacks a viable long range siege option. We wanted to keep Fire Siphons as a mid-range unit in order to maintain their uniqueness, while allowing Atlanteans to siege from a safe distance with Onagers if they so choose. This should also promote wall usage for Atlantean players, which currently we see a massive lack in." from