|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For the unit in Age of Mythology, see Onager (Age of Mythology).|
|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Trained At||Siege Workshop|
|Training Time||46 seconds|
|Attack Bonuses|| +45 vs Building|
+12 vs Siege Weapon
|Rate of Fire||6|
|Armor Classes||Siege Weapon|
|Line of Sight||10|
|Upgrades To||Siege Onager|
|Upgrade Cost||1450 Food, 1000 Gold|
|Upgrade Time||150 seconds|
"Stronger than Mangonel. Wheeled siege weapon used to attack a small mass of units."—Age of Empires II description
The Onager is a ranged siege unit in Age of Empires II that can be trained at the Siege Workshop once the Imperial Age is reached. It is primarily used against large groups of enemies. Its high attack and splash damage make it a powerful unit, especially against archers and slow-moving units. Its main offsets are its projectile speed, minimum range, and tendency to harm friendly units caught in its blast. Onagers can attack ground and kill trees.
Onagers are devastating against archers and slow-moving units, but cannot defend themselves against most melee units. Therefore, they need to be guarded in most situations. Archers are often used, because own melee units are usually endangered by the own Onagers. But archers don't cover the Onager's main weakness adequately, which is cavalry. Therefore, Onagers are also often paired with Halberdiers. That combination is especially prominent with the Celts and Slavs.
Further Statistics Edit
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Buildings, Villagers, archers|
|Weak vs.||Melee units especially Magyar Huszars and other melee cavalry, Mangudai, Woad Raiders, Condottieri, Eagle Warriors, Bombard Cannons|
|Hit Points||Furor Celtica (Celts only)|
|Attack||Siege Engineers (increases attack against buildings), Chemistry, Torsion Engines (Ethiopians only, increases the blast damage radius)|
|Range||Siege Engineers, Shinkichon (Koreans only)|
|Armor||Ironclad (Teutons only)|
|Movement Speed||Drill (Mongols only)|
|Conversion Defense||Faith, Heresy|
|Upgrades||Onagers can be upgraded to Siege Onagers|
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Onagers are created 15% faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Celts: Onagers fire 25% faster. Onagers can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Onagers are 20% cheaper.
- Portuguese: Onagers cost 15% less gold.
- Slavs: Onagers are 15% cheaper.
Team Bonuses Edit
- A team containing Celts: Onagers are created and upgraded 20% faster.
- A team containing Koreans: Onagers minimum range reduced.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Chemistry and Siege Engineers is 80% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Onagers are more resistant to conversion.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Onagers move at a speed of 0.5.
The Conquerors Edit
- Onagers now move at a speed of 0.6.
- Onagers gain +12 bonus damage against siege weapons.
- Heresy introduced.
- Celts: Furor Celtica introduced. It gives Onagers +50% HP.
- Mongols: Drill introduced.
- Koreans: Shinkichon initially gives Onagers +2 range. With patch 1.0c, the effect was reduced to +1.
- A team containing Koreans: Onagers have +1 range.
The Forgotten Edit
- Onagers can cut down trees.
- Celts: Furor Celtica now gives +40% HP to Onagers.
- Teutons: Ironclad introduced.
- A team containing Koreans: Onagers minimum range reduced by 2 (instead of +1 range).
- Before The Forgotten, researching Chemistry had a negative effect on the Onager's projectile speed, lowering it from 3.5 to 2.9.
The onager was an improvement of the mangonel; it was larger, more powerful, and hurled a heavier payload for greater distance.
In reality, the Onager was invented long before the Mangonel by the Ancient Romans. The Onager is credited as being the first Torsion Spring or "Petraria Arcatinus"-type catapult, as all catapults before that are called Ballista and/or Scorpions.
|Unit Evolution: Mangonel|
|Mangonel --> Onager --> Siege Onager|