|Introduced in||The Age of Kings|
|Research time||60 seconds|
|Effect||Removes Towers and Castles minimum range|
Murder Holes is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the University. Once researched, it removes the minimum range from defensive structures. It is the only non-unique technology to cost stone.
Murder Holes almost always worth getting since it allows Castles and Towers to stand alone and defend themselves against infantry and cavalry. Rams, however, remain a threat due to their practical immunity to arrow fire. So nevertheless, constant attention of melee units is advised in order to keep defensive structures up.
- Chinese: Murder Holes are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Teutons: Murder Holes are free.
Team bonuses Edit
A team containing Malians: Researching Murder Holes is 80% faster.
The Age of KingsEdit
- Murder Holes cost 200F/200S.
- Murder Holes cost 200F/100S.
- Murder Holes was originally planned to be in Age of Mythology, but was replaced with Boiling Oil for historical reasons.
- The name of this technology is misused, Murder Holes in reality are provisions on a gatehouse for pouring oil onto attackers trapped inside, not battlement extensions that allow Archers to fire directly down. The correct name for this technology would be Machicolations, which are extensions on the battlements with holes in the floor that allow for Archers to fire directly down at attackers.
Hoardings were fortifications built at the top of castle walls and towers from which defenders could fight. They needed to be beyond the vertical plane of the wall so they could attack enemies at the base of the wall. At the bottom of the hoardings were trap doors called murder holes. These could be opened and defenders could shoot arrows and drop stones, boiling water, or burning sand directly down. Without murder holes, enemies up against the bottom of a wall were relatively safe.
|Missile / Siege Technologies|
|Fletching | Bodkin Arrow | Bracer | Padded Archer Armor | Leather Archer Armor | Ring Archer Armor | Ballistics | Murder Holes | Heated Shot | Arrowslits | Chemistry | Siege Engineers | Thumb Ring | Parthian Tactics|