An artistic rendering of the Palace of Knossos
| Age of Empires|
|Features||+2 Composite Bowman range
+25% Farm production
-30% Ship cost
The Minoans are a Mediterranean civilization in Age of Empires and Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome. Centered on the island of Crete in the Aegean Sea, they are named for the mythical figure Minos, said to have been a king of Knossos, capital and cultural, administrative and religious center of Crete.
Although their architecture is the same Mediterranean styled as the Greeks and the Phoenicians, the Minoans implement a different strategy compared to their counterparts. The Minoans are strictly an offensive civilization due to their bonuses and technology Tree, but do work well defensively before the Iron Age.
AI Player Names Edit
Names shown in italics are only used in the original game, names shown in bold are used in both the original game and its expansions.
- Minos - Mythological king of Crete, brother to Rhadamanthys and Sarpedon
- Rhadamanthys - Mythological king of Crete, brother to Sarpedon and Minos
- Minos II - Did not exist in Minoa
- Rhadamanthys II - Did not exist in Minoa
- Minos III - Did not exist in Minoa
- Rhadamanthys III - Did not exist in Minoa
- Minos IV - Did not exist in Minoa
- Sarpedon - Mythological king of Milyas (Lycia), brother to Minos and Rhadamantys
- Erythrus - Son of Rhadamanthys, founder of Erythrae
- Gortys - Son of Rhadamanthys, associated with Gortyn, Crete
- Aiakos - Mythological king of Aegina
- Androgeous - Son of Minos and Pasiphaë
- Pasiphae - Mythological wife of Minos, daughter of Helios (the sun) and Perse (an Oceanid)
- Aeacus - Latinized form of Aiakos