|This page or section may need to be cleaned up to reach a higher standard of quality.
The Market is a building that provides economic improvements in Age of Empires, II, III and Age of Mythology. It also exchanges one resource for another. Markets also serve as the main drop-off point for traded goods in Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology.
Age of EmpiresEdit
|First Appearance||Age of Empires|
|Age Available||Tool Age|
|Base Hit Points||350|
The Market in Age of Empires unlocks the ability to pay tributes to other players, and provides the ability to develop many useful upgrades that benefits the economy of a civilization. Most of these technologies found in this building increases the rate of resource collecting as well as ones that improve the food quantities of Farms. The Wheel is considered by some as the most useful upgrade since it makes villagers move and collect resource faster as well as enabling the development of chariot units.
- Woodworking - Increases Villager gathering rate of Wood and the range of archers
- Stone Mining - Increases Villager gathering rate of Stone
- Gold Mining - Increases Villager gathering rate of Gold
- Domestication - Increases Farm capacity of Food
- Artisanship - Increases Villager gathering rate of Wood and the range of archers
- Wheel - Increases Villager speed, also enables Chariot units from Archery Range and Stable
- Plow - Increases Farm capacity of Food
- Craftsmanship - Increases Villager gathering rate of Wood and the range of archers
- Siegecraft - Allows Villagers to attack Walls and Buildings
- Coinage - Increases more Gold productivity and also makes market tributes free
- Irrigation - Increases Farm capacity of Food
Age of Empires II Edit
|First Appearance||Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings|
|Age Available||Feudal Age|
|Base Hit Points||2000|
The Market enables the player to buy and sell resources. Markets also allows the player to build Trade Carts which trade for Gold in other Markets, and developing economic related upgrades. Markets operate based on exchange rate. The more Wood the player buys, the more Gold it would cost to obtain these resources. The Market can be built once Feudal Age is fully developed in the Town Center. The equation for gold received while trading in other markets is exponential. The farther away the market is, the more gold the player is given. It is always more worth it to make markets far away from other markets even though the trade carts will take longer to reach their destination. As the markets increase in distance, the gold received more than doubles over time. As far across the map as you can go (83 market lengths), ~250 gold is produced, as opposed to 3 lengths away, which gives you only 1 gold.
As the Dark Ages gave way to better economic conditions, the exchange of produce and craft goods increased. Towns of all sizes set aside an area for a market where farmers and tradesmen could set up stalls for selling their merchandise. One or more days each week were designated market days and became the social highlight of the typical workweek. The market was also a place for the exchange of ideas, entertainment (bards, acrobats, musicians), and the spreading of news.
- Guilds - Reduces Commodity Trading Fee to 15%
Age of Empires III Edit
|First Appearance||Age of Empires III|
|Age Available||Discovery Age|
|Base Hit Points||2000|
Buying and selling resources
The Market in Age of Empires III provides early economic upgrades, in addition to resource trading abilities. Unlike previous games, players cannot build Trade Carts to trade with other civilizations.
Upgrades (European Markets):Edit
- Hunting Dogs, costs 50 Wood and 50 Gold. Settlers gather Food from hunted animals 10% faster.
- Blunderbuss, costs 110 Food. Settlers have +4 Range, +4 Line of Sight and +3 to all damage.
- Placer Mines, costs 75 Food and 75 Wood. Settlers gather Coin from mines 10% faster.
- Gang Saw, costs 100 Food. Villagers gather Wood 10% faster.
- Great Coat, costs 75 Food. Villagers have 35% higher hitpoints.
- Steel Traps, costs 125 Wood and 125 Gold. Villagers gather Food from hunted animals 20% faster.
- Log Flume, costs 150 Food and 250 Gold. Villagers gather Wood 20% faster.
- Amalgamation, costs 200 Food and 200 Wood. Villagers gather Coin from Mines 20% faster.
Age of MythologyEdit
|First Appearance||Age of Mythology|
|Age Available||Heroic Age|
|Base Hit Points||1200|
|Use||Buy and sell resources|
The Market allows players to train Caravans, buy and sell resources, and research technologies.