|Introduced in||The Age of Kings|
|Researched at||Town Center|
|Research Time||25 seconds|
|Effect||Villagers +15 HP, +1/+2 armor|
Loom is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Town Center. Once researched, it makes Villagers harder to kill by adding +15 HP, +1 armor, and +2 pierce armor for a total of 40 HP and 1/2 armor.
Loom is effective during the early game, as it helps to protect Villagers from an early attack, but decreases in effectiveness as the strength of enemy armies increases. Additionally, Loom makes Villagers far more formidable against wild animals. Without Loom, a single Villager (except Magyar Villagers) will lose to any wild animal if it strikes first. With Loom, however, a single Villager can even kill two wild animals if they do not attack at the same time and do not strike first.
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Chinese: Loom is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Persians: Researching Loom is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Loom gives +1/+1 armor to Villagers.
The Conquerors Edit
- With patch 1.0c, Loom now gives +1/+2 armor.
- Aztecs: With patch 1.0c, Loom is free.
The Forgotten Edit
- Aztecs: Free Loom removed, but start the game with +50 gold.
- Loom is the only technology available in the Dark Age.
- Loom is the cheapest technology (in terms of the required amount of raw resources) in the game (tied with Tracking).
- Also, it is one of only two technologies outside the Monastery costing only gold and no other resource, the other one being Spies.
- Loom has been nicknamed the "Liam Neeson" technology by some players as it gives humans the ability to fight wolves hand-to-hand.
The invention of the loom and the ability to weave cloth was an important ancient technology that was quickly recovered during the Dark Ages. Good wool clothes were an important asset that lengthened life expectancy in the Northern European climate. Raising sheep for wool and then making cloth was one of the early important industries of the Middle Ages.
|Economic Technologies (Age of Empires II)|
Town Center: I: Loom II: Wheelbarrow III: Hand Cart