|This article is about the unit in Age of Mythology. For the similar unit in Age of Empires II, see Longboat (Age of Empires II).|
Attack Bonus Edit
- Arrow Ship Cladding increases hit points by 20%, attack by 10% and range by 4.
- Arctic Winds (Heimdall) increases hit points and speed by 10%.
- Long Serpent (Njord) increases attack by 20% and decreases crush vulnerability by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack and crush vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Burning Pitch gives +15% attack and triple damage to buildings.
- Conscript Sailors decreases training time by 20%.
- Enclosed Deck doubles unit capacity.
- Heroic Fleet (Titans Expansion) increases attack vs myth units by 50%.
Longboats are critical in gaining control of water as they are the only warship available in the Classical Age. They are also excellent at sinking enemy Transport Ships. Once in the Heroic Age, they will need support from other warships. Siege Ships will destroy them easily. Naval myth units or siege weapons are also a large threat. Unlike other cultures' arrow ships, the Longboat can transport a few units, which saves valuable population space when planning naval invasions.
Vikings had a long history of naval trading, which eventually developed into coastal raiding. The longboat was a fast warship about 80 feet long. The ships could be rowed or a single mast stepped amidships with a square sail. The maneuverability, high speed and shallow draught allowed the ships to penetrate rivers, which the Vikings used to attack even inland towns. While bulkier vessels could only be moored in a harbor, the longboats could be beached right on the shore. The flexible hull allowed the longboats to traverse the treacherous waves of the North Atlantic, while still loaded down goods and warriors. Viking chieftains were even buried in their ships.