|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For the unit in Age of Mythology, see Longboat (Age of Mythology).|
|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Training Time||25 seconds|
|Hit Points||130, 160 (Elite)|
|Attack||7, 8 (Elite) pierce|
|Attack Bonuses|| +9, +11 (Elite) vs Ship|
+7, +8 (Elite) vs Building
+4 vs Ram
|Rate of Fire||3.34|
|Range||6, 7 (Elite)|
|Pierce Armor||6, 8 (Elite)|
|Armor Classes|| Ship|
|Line of Sight||8, 9 (Elite)|
|Upgrades To||Elite Longboat|
|Upgrade Cost||750 Food, 475 Gold|
|Upgrade Time||60 seconds|
"Viking unique unit. Fires multiple arrows."—Age of Empires II description
Longboats can be upgraded to Elite Longboats in the Imperial Age.
The Longboat, like the Chu Ko Nu, fires multiple arrows with each attack - both Elite and non-Elite Longboats fire four arrows per attack. Much like the Chu Ko Nu, only the first arrow does full damage and benefits from archery upgrades while the rest only do 1 pierce damage. Unlike the Chu Ko Nu, the Longboat fires all its arrows at the same time and not in quick succession. Due to how armor and damage work in Age of Empires II this translates to an additional +3 damage provided they all hit. Longboats defeat War Galleys in one-on-one combat. Elite Longboats defeat Galleons (just barely, though) as well. They are best used against multiple enemy ships. They build significantly quicker than most other warships, making spamming them an effective tactic against other navies.
The Longboat is weak against Mangonels and Bombard Cannons firing from the shore, so they should be kept well out of range. Turtle Ships may also present a problem for the Longboats as they are heavily armored but if properly micromanaged and in sufficient numbers, Longboats can cope with them. Fire Ships are effective against Longboats and the most common counter.
Since the Longboat can shoot multiple arrows, a group of them can rain a shower of arrows on to the target, so Longboats can be used for shore bombardment, and are better used in large groups. Longboats are also excellent escorts for other naval vessels like the Transport Ship and Cannon Galleons. As the Vikings lack Fire Ships, their navy should be built around Longboats as they are easily massed, have good movement speed, and a decent attack.
Comparison to the Galleon Edit
- Elite Longboats move faster than Galleons.
- Elite Longboats fire slower than Galleons, but fire multiple projectiles.
- Range, attacks, LOS, and armor are the same, but the Galleon holds an advantage of +5 HP.
- Elite Longboats cost more than Galleons, even when compared to non-Viking Galleons. Also, the Elite Longboat upgrade is more expensive than going from Galley to Galleon.
- Elite Longboats are created faster than Galleons.
- In one-on-one combat, the Elite Longboat narrowly wins.
- Longboats are better than Galleons against structures and more easily hit land-based targets.
- In all, when comparing the two, the Elite Longboat is better than the Galleon (first of all because of its speed), but not significantly. On a cost effective basis, they are roughly equal.
Further statistics Edit
As Longboat are unique to the Vikings, only technologies that are available to them are shown in the following table:
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Transport Ships, Fishing Ships, buildings, land units in the shoreline and shallows, Cannon Galleons, Galleons|
|Weak vs.||Fire Ships, Turtle Ships, Samurai (in the shallows), Towers, Castles, ranged siege units on the shoreline|
|Attack|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
|Range|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
|Accuracy||Ballistics (hit moving targets)|
|Speed||Dry Dock (+15%)|
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Upgrades||Longboats can be upgraded to Elite Longboats|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Vikings: Longboats are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Malians: Researching Chemistry and Ballistics is 80% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Longboats are more resistant to conversion.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Longboats cost 100W/50G and take 41 seconds to train.
- Longboats require a Castle.
- Vikings: Longboats are 20% cheaper.
The Conquerors Edit
- Longboats now train in 25 seconds.
- Heresy introduced.
- Vikings: Longboats are now 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
The Forgotten Edit
- Longboats now cost 90W/50G.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Longboats no longer require a Castle.
- Longboats now cost 100W/50G again.
"The Viking raiders of the ninth through eleventh centuries were especially terrifying because they could strike anywhere along the seacoast and even upriver. They had this capability thanks to their longboats. These ships were long, narrow, and of shallow draft, but were surprisingly seaworthy. They used oars and a single square sail for propulsion. Longboats could be taken into very shallow water and beached. Only a coast with high bluffs or rocky shoreline was safe from them."