|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For the similar unit in Age of Empires II, see Long Swordsman (Age of Empires II).|
|This article or section is outdated.
|Introduced in||Age of Empires|
|Rate of Fire||Fast|
|Upgraded from||Broad Swordsman|
|Upgrade cost||1400 food, 600 gold|
The Long Swordsman is a melee infantry unit featured in Age of Empires. It becomes available at the Barracks in the Iron Age once the Long Sword is researched. In order to research this technology, 160 food and 50 gold is required.
The Long Swordsman is simply a better version of the Broad Swordsman. It has more hit points, attack, and armor, though by the time they can be trained there are better infantry unit choices at the Academy. They are good for massed attacks due to their cheap cost. The Long Swordsman can be upgraded to the Legion once Fanaticism is researched.
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2.
- Scale Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1.
- Logistics: Decreases population usage by 1/2.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3.
- Chain Mail Infantry: Increases armor by 2.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1.
- Can be upgraded to Legion which requires Fanaticism.
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Choson: Long Swordsmen have +60 hit points.
- Romans: Long Swordsmen attack +33% faster.
- Macedonians: Long Swordsman are four times more resistant against conversion (Scenario Editor only).
- The Long Swordsman is not available for Egyptians, Greeks, Hittites, Macedonians, Palmyrans, Shang, and Yamato.
Age of Empires Edit
- Long Swordsmen have 100 hit points.
- Choson Long Swordsmen now get +60 hit points.
"The long sword represents the culmination of infantry weapon development in antiquity. It was designed for both piercing and slashing, combining the best of both the short and broad swords. The long sword was made possible first by advances in bronzeworking and improved by the discovery of iron. Some historians believe that the development of long swords by barbarian cultures was a key factor in the catastrophe of 1200 BC, when most of the civilized cultures of the Mediterranean and Middle East were overrun. The long sword in various forms remained an important military weapon until the advent of gunpowder."—The Age of Empires manual
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Naval||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|