|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For the unit in Age of Empires III, see Janissary (Age of Empires III).|
|Introduced in||The Age of Kings|
|Hit points||44, 50 (Elite)|
|Attack||17, 22 (Elite) pierce|
|Attack bonuses||+2, +3 (Elite) vs Ram|
|Rate of Fire||3.49|
|Frame delay||4, 0 (Elite)|
|Melee armor||1, 2 (Elite)|
|Armor classes|| Archer|
|Line of Sight||10|
|Upgrades to||Elite Janissary|
|Upgrade cost||850 food, 750 gold|
|Upgrade time||55 seconds|
"Turkish unique unit. Hand Cannoneer with longer range and no minimum range. Powerful close attack, but inaccurate at range."—Age of Empires II description
Janissaries can be upgraded to Elite Janissaries in the Imperial Age.
Janissaries play similarly to Hand Cannoneers, but with superior statistics. They are fragile but have a devastating attack. In groups they can send out a volley that will kill or severely injure enemy units that are too close. They are especially strong against infantry, but against them, the Hand Cannoneer is actually better. They are not quite as effective against archers and cavalry due to the former's ranged attack and the latter's speed. In great numbers, however, Janissaries can kill them before they do too much damage.
Up close, Janissaries can be killed easily due to their low hit points, but any unit attacking a dense formation of Janissaries up close is vulnerable. Janissaries can kill much more easily at close range due to their low accuracy at range. Therefore, siege weapons are a threat to them, as a single shot from an Onager can devastate a formation. Bombard Cannons also work very well against Janissaries. Archers are also an issue, because they can make advantage of the Janissary's low accuracy, low pierce armor, and low Rate of Fire.
In addition, Huskarls can easily overwhelm Janissaries in numbers due to their attack bonus against archers (armor-wise, Janissaries are also considered archers). Condottieri and Samurai also are a threat due to their attack bonuses.
Further statistics Edit
As Janissaries are unique to the Turks, only technologies that are available to them are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Infantry, buildings|
|Weak vs.||Skirmishers, Samurai, Scorpions, Mangonels, Huskarls, Condottieri, Bombard Cannons|
|Armor|| Padded Archer Armor (+1/+1)|
Leather Archer Armor (+1/+1)
Ring Archer Armor (+1/+2)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
|Upgrades||Janissaries can be upgraded to Elite Janissaries|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Turks: Janissaries have +25% HP.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, Janissaries are created and upgraded 25% faster, and Conscription is researched 25% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Janissaries are more resistant to conversion.
- A team containing Turks: Janissaries are created 20% faster.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Janissaries have 15 (18 for Elite) attack. Non-Elite Janissaries have an attack bonus of +4 against infantry, and Elite Janissaries have +8 attack against infantry as well as +3 attack against buildings.
- Janissaries have an accuracy of 55%.
- Turks: Janissaries have +50% HP. The team bonus does not affect Elite Janissaries.
The Conquerors Edit
- Janissaries now have 17 attack (22 for Elite), but lose their attack bonuses against infantry and buildings.
- Janissaries' accuracy reduced to 50%.
- Heresy introduced.
- Turks: Janissaries now have +25% HP.
The Forgotten Edit
- Turks: Elite Janissaries are now affected by the team bonus.
- Janissaries originally were meant to be heavy foot archers rather than unique Hand Cannoneers, this was more historically in line with the historical Turks in Age of Empires II medieval era time period. Janissaries also could be upgraded into unique Hand Cannoneers, this was later changed due to an archer unique unit already existing.
- The Janissary was originally planned to have the design used by the Royal variant with a hat. However, this was changed; the reason for the change was because "testers and Ensemble employees would comment that the Janissary looked like a 'Ku Klux Klan' member".
- Before patch 4.8, the Elite Janissary was one of three unique units with 0 frame delay, the others being the Elite Mangudai and Elite Mameluke. After patch 4.8, only the Elite Janissary retained this 0 frame delay.
- When ten Janissaries enter the Teutonic Bombard Tower it will shot with three cannonballs instead of one.
"Some of the best units in the Turkish armies were the janissaries. These men were slaves captured as children and raised under Islam to be fanatical warriors. They wore distinctive white headgear and marched into battle accompanied by music. They fought on foot with a variety of weapons, including early firearms when these weapons reached the Middle East. The military was their entire life and they took great pride in their ability. They led the successful assault into Constantinople and the unsuccessful Turkish attacks against Malta and Vienna."