|First Appearance||Age of Empires III|
|Cost||120 Food |
|Age Available||Colonial Age|
|Base Hit Points||320|
|Resists||10% vs. Ranged|
|R.O.F.||1.5 / 3.0 (siege)|
The Hussar is a melee cavalry unit in Age of Empires III.
Hussars are the mainline cavalry for most of the European civilizations and should be the backbone of cavalry units for them. Since they are the base cavalry unit they have no distinguishing characteristics. They are fast and hit relatively hard making them good at raiding or getting in close with artillery. They are also effective against light infantry, who are too fragile too stand up to melee combat. They are weak against heavy infantry and ranged cavalry. They should be put in formations with infantry so the two can counter each other's weaknesses.
Hussars can be upgraded into different ranks or form depending on the type of civilization chosen or the Age the player is in.
The Veteran Hussar is an upgrade of the ordinary Hussar and has slightly more hit points and attack compared to its predecessor. The upgrade is available at the Stable for 200 Wood 200 Coin once Fortress Age is reached.
- Hit Points: 384
- Siege Attack: 24
- Guardian Attack: 36
- Hand Attack: 36
The Guard Hussar is an upgrade of the Veteran Hussar and has slightly more hit points and attack compared to its predecessor. The upgrade is available at the Stable for 600 Wood 600 Coin once Industrial Age is reached.
- Hit Points: 480
- Siege Attack: 30
- Guardian Attack: 45
- Hand Attack: 45
The Imperial Hussar is an upgrade of the Guard Hussar and has slightly more hit points and attack compared to its predecessor. The upgrade is available at the Stable for 1500 Wood 1500 Coin once Imperial Age is reached.
- Hit Points: 640
- Siege Attack: 40
- Guardian Attack: 60
- Hand Attack: 60
- The British can upgrade veteran Hussars into Life Guard Hussars in the Industrial Age.
- The Ottomans can upgrade veteran Hussars into Gardener Hussars in the Industrial Age.
- The Germans cannot train Hussars but can send some Winged (Guard level) Hussars from the Home City.
- The Russians cannot train Hussars but can send a group of Bashkirs (Hussars) from the Church when it ships the Royal Decree shipment.
- The Spanish can use unction to boost their Hussars in combat, providing a sizable damage increase.