|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For the unit in Age of Mythology, see Hoplite (Age of Mythology).|
The Hoplite is the weakest of the elite infantry units which are trained at the Academy at Bronze Age. They are great at countering cavalry.
Hoplites are elite infantry units with a high amount of damage. The Hoplite can easily bring units down, but are relatively slow and vulnerable to archer fire and conversion. The Hoplites are best used in hand-to-hand combat. The Hoplite can be upgraded to the more powerful Phalanx, and finally to the Centurion, the most powerful elite infantry unit. The Greeks have the fastest hoplites.
Hoplites and their successors are among the most powerful non-siege units in the game.
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Scale Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3 points.
- Chain Mail Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Aristocracy: increases Speed by 25%
- The Hoplite can be upgraded to Phalanx
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Greeks: Hoplites move 30% faster.
- Carthaginians: Hoplites have 25% more HP.
- Macedonians: Hoplites have +2 Pierce Armour when dealing with ranged units, have +2 Line of sight and are four times more resistant to enemy conversions.
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|