Age of EmpiresEdit
|Upgraded From||Sentry Tower|
|Upgraded To||Ballista Tower|
|Cost to Upgrade||1800 Food |
- Babylonian Guard Towers have as many as 480 hit points if Architecture is researched.
- Choson Guard Towers can have as many as 12 range points if Woodcutting technologies are researched at the Market.
- Macedonian Guard Towers are four times more resistant to enemy Conversion.
- Guard Tower is not available for Minoans, Romans and Yamato.
- Woodworking increases range by one point
- Artisanship increases range by one point
- Architecture decreases build time by 33% and increases hit points by 20%
- Alchemy increases attack by one point
- Ballistics increases its accuracy
- Craftsmanship increases range by one point
- Can be upgraded to the Ballista Tower
Age of Empires IIEdit
|Upgraded From||Watch Tower|
|Cost to Upgrade||250 Food |
Garrisoned foot archers and villagers will increase the number of arrows the tower fires, thus increasing the damage. Up to five foot-soldiers (infantry and archers, although infantry do not increase the firepower of the tower) may be garrisoned into the watch tower. When garrisoned in the guard tower (or any other building) units will slowly regain any lost hit points. This ability can be sped up by researching Herbal Medicine.
Offensively, towers can be upgraded by Fletching, Bodkin Arrow, and Bracer (all Blacksmith upgrades) for range and damage, Chemistry (at the University) for damage, and Heated Shot (also at the University) for damage against ships. Defensively, towers may be upgraded with Masonry, Architecture (increase HP), and Murder Holes (eliminates minimum range). Towers are generally more useful in the game for stopping and slowing small raiding parties. They are ineffective against large armies and siege weapons.
The defensive tower continued to evolve during the MIddle Ages by getting stronger, taller, and better designed for fighting defense. Whereas some earlier watch towers had been square, guard towers were usually round to eliminate a sharp corner that could be knocked off. Fighting positions at the top of a guard tower were improved to protect defenders. Hoardings extended out from the top, allowing defenders to reach the bottom of the guard tower with missiles. Entrances to guard towers were made more elaborate and more easily defendable.
- Teutonic Guard Towers can garrison at most 10 Archers or Infantry units at one time. This also doubles the maximum number of arrows that can be fired. A fully garrisoned Teutonic Guard Tower can fire as many as eight arrows, dealing up to 72 damage if it is fully upgraded.
- Korean Guard Towers have additional range by one point from Castle Age beyond. In addition, Korean towers upgrades itself automatically from Castle Age to Imperial Age. If all technologies are researched, Korean Guard Towers can have as many as 13 range points. This range bonus makes Bombard Cannons and Cannon Galleons ineffective against them. However, a Turkish Bombard Cannon and Cannon Galleon with Artillery researched can out range a Korean Guard Tower.
- Briton Guard Towers can have additional range by one point by researching the unique technology Yeomen, which adds 2 to tower attack and also improves archer range by 1.
Age of MythologyEdit
|First Appearance||Age of Mythology|
|Age Available||Heroic Age|
|Base Hit Points||850|
Guard Towers in Age of Mythology are upgraded versions of the Watch Tower. All civilizations except the Norse have them. They are fairly effective but siege weapons and groups of soldiers will destroy them with ease, and it is not recommended to rely solely on towers.