|This article is about the unique unit in Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms. For the scrapped unit of the same name in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors, see Genitour (infantry).|
|Introduced in||The African Kingdoms|
|Trained at||Archery Range|
|Training time||25 seconds|
|Hit points||50, 55 (Elite)|
|Attack||3, 4 (Elite) pierce|
|Attack bonuses|| +4, +5 (Elite) vs Archer|
+2 (Elite) vs Cavalry archer
|Rate of Fire||3.05|
|Pierce armor||3, 4 (Elite)|
|Armor classes|| Archer|
Cavalry archer (+1)
|Line of Sight||5, 6 (Elite)|
|Upgrades to||Elite Genitour|
|Upgrade cost||500 food, 400 wood|
|Upgrade time||60 seconds|
"Berber unique unit. Mounted Skirmisher."—Age of Empires II description
The Genitour is the second unique unit of the Berbers in Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms. It can be trained at the Archery Range once the Castle Age is reached. It is essentially a mounted Skirmisher. Since Genitours cost no gold, they are considered trash units.
Genitours can be upgraded to Elite Genitours in the Imperial Age.
The Genitour is a shared unique unit, i.e. it is available to any player allied with a Berber, so in essence, it is their team bonus.
Genitours are excellent counters against any archer-using opponent. Due to their comparatively high hit points and attack bonus against all archer units, Genitours emerge winning against almost any archer unit in the game. They can also be used to hit-and-run infantry, but the regular Cavalry Archer is much better suited for that due to its higher base attack. Encounters with cavalry and siege weapons should be avoided, because the Genitours cannot make use of any of their beneficial traits against these units.
Comparison to the Skirmisher Edit
Whether or not to use Genitours depends much on the player's playing style, their civilization, and the current situation. For the Berbers, Genitours are usually preferred in the Imperial Age, because they fit in nicely with the Berber cavalry army and don't lag behind like Skirmishers do. In general, Genitours are favorable against Cavalry Archer using civilizations and, naturally, for the Turks as they lack Elite Skirmishers and have fantastic Genitours with their Sipahi technology.
Further statistics Edit
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Archers, Cavalry Archers|
|Weak vs.||Camels, Pikemen, siege units, Genoese Crossbowmen, Huskarls, Eagle Warriors|
|Hit points|| Bloodlines (+20)|
Sipahi (+20,Turks only)
|Attack|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
Atlatl (+1, Aztecs only)
|Range|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
Atlatl (+1, Aztecs only)
Andean Sling (eliminates the minimum range, Incas only)
|Accuracy|| Thumb Ring (increases accuracy to 100%)|
Ballistics (hit moving targets)
|Armor|| Padded Archer Armor (+1/+1)|
Leather Archer Armor (+1/+1)
Ring Archer Armor (+1/+2)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
|Upgrades||Genitours can be upgraded to Elite Genitours|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Genitours are created 15% faster.
- Celts: Genitours can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Genitours are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Franks: Genitours have +20% hit points.
- Huns: Genitours are 10%/20% cheaper in the Castle Age/Imperial Age.
- Mongols: Genitours fire 25% faster.
- Saracens: Genitours have +3 attack against buildings.
- Spanish: Blacksmith upgrades that benefit Genitours don't cost gold.
- Vietnamese: Genitours have +15%/20% HP in the Castle/Imperial Age.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Britons: Genitours are created and upgraded 20% faster. Researching Thumb Ring is 20% faster.
- A team containing Huns: Researching Bloodlines and Husbandry is 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Chemistry and Ballistics is 80% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Genitours are more resistant to conversion.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Non-Elite Genitours initially have 4 attack and 3 range. With patch 4.8, they have 3 attack and 4 range.
- Aztecs: Initially, the civilization bonus that gives a 15% creation speed boost to all military units does not apply to Genitours. With patch 4.8, however, that was fixed and Genitours are created 15% faster.
- Prior to the release of The Conquerors, the Genitour was originally planned to be the unique unit of the Spanish, behaving largely similar to how it does now, though due to reasons unknown it was scrapped and replaced with the Conquistador. The WIP unit lived on, however, as an untrainable unit in the Scenario Editor in the form of a Militia that tosses arrows with each swing of its club.
- The term "Genitour" is derived from "Jinete", meaning "horseman" in Spanish. Jinetes were historically deployed as a kind of mounted fast-moving skirmishers, which is depicted rather accurately in the game, though the use of the term is rather odd for a civilization such as the Berbers. A more accurate iteration of the in-game name would be "Zenata", which is appropriate seeing as it served as the original root for "Jinete".
- Genitours are one of only three unique trash units. The others are Imperial Skirmishers and Magyar Huszars (if Mercenaries is researched).
- The Genitour is also one of the very few units where its upgrade does not cost any gold. The others are the Capped Ram, the Siege Ram (both since patch 1.0c), the Heavy Scorpion, and the Plumed Archer.
- The Turks are arguably the most grateful for access to the Genitour. Their skirmishers are the worst in the game, and Sipahi puts their Genitours among the best.