|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Use|| Shuts enemy units out|
Lets friendly units through
|Hit Points|| 1375|
2750, 4000 (Fortified)
2750, 4000 (Fortified)
|Armor Classes|| Building (+20)|
Wall and Gate
|Line of Sight||6|
"Can be built into existing walls. You or your allies can manually open and close this Gate."—Age of Empires II description
The Gate is a defensive structure in Age of Empires II that becomes available once the Feudal Age is reached. It can be built in existing Stone Walls to have an opportunity to let friendly units through while keeping enemies out.
Gates are available to all civilizations except for the Goths. Fortified Walls and with them Fortified Gates are available to all civilizations except for the Goths, Huns, Magyars, Malay, and Persians.
Gates open automatically if a friendly unit approaches to let them through and only close again if no unit stands right under the Gate. So if own units cause the Gate to open, enemy units can also pass or keep the Gate open on purpose. To prevent that, Gates can be locked so they will not open, even to friendly units. They can be unlocked again at any time.
Further statistics Edit
|Building Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Weak vs.||Everything except Monks|
|Hit points||Great Wall (+30%, Chinese only)|
|Construction Speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Byzantines: Gates have +20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Gates are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Incas: Gates are 15% cheaper.
- Koreans: Gates are built 33% faster.
- Spanish: Gates are built 30% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Malians: Upgrading to Fortified Wall and researching Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Mayans: Gates are 50% cheaper.
The Age of Kings Edit
The Conquerors Edit
- The upgrade to the Fortified Wall now costs 200F/100W.
The Forgotten Edit
- Gate (not fortified) HP staggered: 1375/2750/2750 in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Chinese: Great Wall introduced.
- Koreans: Gates are now built 33% faster.
"Gates were built into walls to allow access to a fortification. Because gates could be the most vulnerable part of a defensive position, extra care was taken to make them strong. A common type of gate was the portcullis, a heavy metal grid that was raised by a winch. The portcullis was in place by grooves in the stonework of the gateway and by its own weight. A long narrow passage, open from above, was usually placed behind the portcullis. Attackers who managed to get past the gate would then remain vulnerable to fire from soldiers in the narrow passage."
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|Town Center · Dock · Harbor · Monastery · University · Market · Blacksmith · Wonder · Mill · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · House · Farm · Fish Trap · Feitoria|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Castle · Siege Workshop|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|