- See Forum:Fort Strategy for possible strategies.
|First Appearance||Age of Empires III|
|Cost||600 Wood |
|Age Available||Fortress Age|
|Base Hit Points||8500|
|Anti Ship Damage||300|
|Anti Ship Range||40|
The Fort has high defense and attacks units that come within range with a cannon attack (Area 3 vs. land units). On top of this, the Fort can train Barracks and Stable units available to that civilization and Grenadiers if available. It cannot upgrade units and is available only to some civilizations.
The Fort can be acquired in several ways. The most common way is to ship a Fort Wagon from the Home City, which turns into a Fort. This can only be done once, though some civilizations have access to more than one card that builds Forts. Choosing to undergo a Revolution will also allow the creation of forts. Doing so this way will remove the build limit, though each wagon costs 1000 of each resource to create. The Chinese can use the Consulate with Export to send a Fort Wagon.
Forts, whilst having impressive hitpoints and a great range, are expensive to repair and can only take on one target at a time (although there is area of effect damage when they fire). They are most often used to gain map control, or to defend a coastline or colony. Since it is a special Home City shipment, another Fort Wagon cannot be built if the Fort is destroyed unless multiple shipments of wagons are available. Forts are formidable defenses but are not invincible. They can be destroyed with artillery or long range ships such as Monitors or Ironclads. A large amount of units can bring it down as the Fort can only fire on one enemy at a time, though it does splash damage.
Building upgrades Edit
In the Industrial Age, the following upgrades are available:
- Revetment, costs 500 Wood and 500 Coin . Fort attack +50%, range +6 and Line of Sight +6.
- Star Fort, costs 300 Food , 300 Wood and 300 Coin . Fort hitpoints +50%.
Fort Home City Cards Edit
- Fort - Unlocked with a Level 10 Home City and is sent in the Fortress Age.
- Castrametation - Unlocked with a Level 25 Home City and is sent in the Industrial Age.
- Vauban Fortress - Unlocked with a Level 40 French Home City and is sent in the Industrial Age.
- National Redoubt - Unlocked with a Level 40 Russian Home City and is sent in the Industrial Age.
Upgrade Cards Edit
- Heavy Fortifications - Unlocked with a Level 25 Home City and is sent in the Industrial Age. It provides the Star Fort upgrade for free, along with a host of other upgrades which add up to a savings of 1900 wood, 300 food and 1200 coin. This card is available to all civilizations, except those in Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties.
- TEAM Coastal Defenses - Unlocked at a Level 10 Home City and is sent in the Discovery Age. Increases the multiplier versus ships by x1.0 damage (maximum is x2.5 vs. ships) for all buildings capable of attacking. Available to Spanish, French, Portuguese and Russian players.
- Advanced Arsenal - Unlocked with a Level 10 Home City and is sent in the Colonial Age. It moves the Arsenal to the Colonial Age and provides more powerful upgrades which increase the defensive capabilities of buildings (Fort, Town Center and Outposts most notably).
- Improved Buildings - Unlocked with a Level 10 Home City and is sent in the Discovery Age. It increases building hitpoints by 40%, including the Fort. It is available to every civilization, except Indians.
- TEAM Improved Buildings - Unlocked with a Level 10 Indian Home City and is sent in the Discovery Age. It only provides a bonus of +25% to Indian buildings, but this stacks with the +40% available to other civilizations for a total allied bonus of 65%.
- Sevastopol - Unlocked with a Level 40 Russian Home City and is sent in the Colonial Age. It decreases the build time for Forts, Blockhouses, Walls and Town Centers by 85%.
- Stone Masons - Unlocked with a Level 10 European Home City and is sent in the Colonial Age. It decreases the build time for buildings by 65%, with exception to Docks, which are reduced by 50%.
- Villagemasons (Land Reforms) - Unlocked with a Level 10 Asian Home City and is sent in the Colonial Age. It decreases the build time for buildings by 50% and increases the build bounty (experience gain) of those structures by 100% (Fort becomes worth 880 experience when built).
Minor Civilization Upgrades Edit
- Flying Buttress (Jesuit) - +20% building hit points.
Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties Edit
- In the expansion pack, The Asian Dynasties the Fort has been tinkered with slightly. First, now all European civilizations are able to build at least one Fort and most are able to build two. The main addition lies in Russian shipment cards. The Russians are able to create two Forts, have the ability to make new Forts (2 on map at once), and are able to have Musketeers build forts (in the Industrial Age by sending National Redoubt). This makes the Russians very powerful coupled with the ability to instantly create infantry.
- Like with the Factory, the Fort can be built by the Chinese or Indians (Campaign only) through the Consulate. This makes the Chinese the only civilization in either The WarChiefs expansion or the Asian Dynasties expansion that can construct a Fort outside of the campaign.
- The Agra Fort is a wonder that can be built by the Indian nation when advancing. This is the only "Fort" that can be available during the colonial age (II) if the player should decide to use this wonder to age. Once it is built, the Agra Fort acts like a regular Fort in producing barracks and cavalry units. There is no age penalty for building the Agra Fort in this age, it is the same strength regardless of when it is built and is much weaker than a real Fort.