|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For other uses of the term, see Fishing Ship.|
|Type||Civilian, Naval Vessel|
|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Training Time||40 seconds|
|Line of Sight||5|
"Gathers food from jumping fish and Fish Traps."—Age of Empires II description
The Fishing Ship is a civilian naval vessel in Age of Empires II that can be trained at the Dock. It is a basic resource gatherer. Unlike its counterpart in Age of Empires, the Fishing Ship cannot be upgraded.
The Fishing Ship can build Fish Traps which are similar to a Farms on water. Fish Traps take longer to build, but hold more food. Fishing Ships gather food faster from normal fish than from Fish Traps. Fishing Ships gathering food from normal fish have around the same gathering rate as those of fishing or farming Villagers.
Further Statistics Edit
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Armor||Careening, Carrack (Portuguese only)|
|Conversion Defense||Faith, Heresy|
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Berbers: Fishing Ships move 10% faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Celts: Fishing Ships can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Fishing Ships are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Fishing Ships are 33% cheaper. Researching Gillnets, Careening, Dry Dock, and Shipwright is 50% cheaper.
- Japanese: Fishing Ships have double HP and +2 pierce armor. Fishing Ships work 5%/10%/15%/20% faster in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Malay: Fishing Ships are 33% cheaper.
- Mayans: Natural resources (wild fish) last 15% longer.
- Persians: Fishing Ships are created 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Careening and Gillnets are researched 15%/20% faster in the Castle/Imperial Age. Researching Dry Dock is 20% faster.
- Portuguese: Fishing Ships have +10% HP.
Team Bonuses Edit
The Age of Kings Edit
- Fishing Ships can construct buildings, if the construction site was initiated by a Villager and lies at a shore.
- Shipwright reduces the wood cost by 20%.
The Conquerors Edit
- With patch 1.0c, Shipwright also decreases train time by 35% now.
- Heresy introduced.
- Mayans: Wild Fish lasts 20% longer, so essentially provides 20% more food.
The Forgotten Edit
- Fishing Ships can no longer build buildings.
- Gillnets introduced.
- Italians: Fishing Ships have +2 LOS.
- Mayans: Wild Fish now lasts 15% longer.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Italians: With patch 4.8, Fishing Ships are now 33% cheaper instead of having an increased LOS.
The technology of shipbuilding, sailing, and navigation improved substantially during the Middle Ages. One result of these advances was a greater range and efficiency for Fishing Ships. The rich waters off the coasts of Europe, North Africa, and Asia provided a bounty of seafood that could be preserved by drying and salting. Preserved fish, especially cod, became an important trade good in the late Middle Ages.