|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For the unit in Age of Empires, see Fire Galley (Age of Empires).|
"Spews fire at other ships. Good at sinking Galleys."—Age of Empires II description
The Fire Galley is a naval vessel in Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms that can be trained at the Dock once the Feudal Age is reached. Fire Galleys are automatically upgraded to Fire Ships when the War Galley upgrade is researched.
Both the Fire Galley and the Demolition Raft were introduced in The African Kingdoms to make the naval battle in the Feudal Age more versatile. Before their introduction, the only military vessel available in the Feudal Age was the Galley, so battle was very linear.
Fire Galleys are available to all civilizations except for the Vikings.
Fire Galleys can be used as a fairly effective type of harassment ships in the early game due to the general lack of available naval power on all sides to mount an effective counterattack, allowing tactful players to destroy enemy Fishing Ships and potentially razing their Docks as well if micromanaged properly.
One-on-one, Fire Galleys easily defeat Galleys. In larger engagements, however, Galleys might come out at an advantage due to their higher range, which allows them to attack first, while the Fire Galleys first need to close the gap and might get in each other's way. Also, micromanaging Galleys with a hit-and-run strategy will prove useful against Fire Galleys.
Fire Galleys are also vulnerable to Demolition Rafts, being unable to shoot them at safe range before exploding due to their low range. However, this is only cost effective if more than one Fire Galley is caught in the explosion.
Further statistics Edit
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Transport Ships, Fishing Ships, buildings in the shoreline, melee units in the shallows, Galleys|
|Weak vs.||Demolition Rafts, towers, ranged siege units on the shoreline|
|Range||Greek Fire (+1, Byzantines only)|
|Armor|| Careening (+0/+1)|
Carrack (+1/+1, Portuguese only)
|Speed||Dry Dock (+15%)|
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Shipwright (+54%)|
|Train cost||Shipwright (-20%)|
|Upgrades||Fire Galleys can be upgraded to Fire Ships with War Galley upgrade|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Fire Galleys are created 15% faster.
- Berbers: Fire Galleys move 10% faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Fire Galleys fire 25% faster.
- Celts: Fire Galleys can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Fire Galleys are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Researching Careening, Dry Dock, and Shipwright is 50% cheaper. Upgrading to Fire Ship is 50% cheaper.
- Persians: Fire Galleys are created 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Careening and the upgrade to the Fire Ship are researched 15%/20% faster in the Castle/Imperial Age. Dry Dock is researched 20% faster.
- Portuguese: Fire Galleys have +10% HP and cost 15% less gold.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Malians: Researching Ballistics is 80% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Fire Galleys are more resistant to conversion.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Fire Galleys have a pierce armor of 5.
- Upon their introduction, Fire Galleys have 100 HP.
- With patch 4.8, Fire Galleys now have 95 HP, and are affected by Ballistics.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- Fire Galleys now have a pierce armor of 4.
- With patch 5.4, Fire Galleys have 100 HP again.
- The Fire Ships are the only units in the game without an integer range.
- Fire Galleys, Demolition Rafts, and Galleys are the only units in the game sharing an upgrade.
- Despite being introduced in The African Kingdoms, the Fire Galley is shown with a The Conquerors icon in the Scenario Editor.
- The Fire Galley is the only unit in the game with the lowest possible attack of 1.
- Fire Galleys deal bonus damage against the cheat unit Saboteur because it is in the same unit class as ships.