Note: The list below will show only the units, buildings, and technologies that are activated when you advance to the Feudal Age. If you wish to see the units, buildings, and technologies that are available from the Dark Age, see Dark Age.
Age advancement from Dark Age to Feudal Age requires:
- 500 Food
- Any combination of 2 different Dark Age buildings.
- 130 seconds of research at the Town Center.
Units Available Edit
- Trade Cart-trained at Market; land trade unit
- Transport Ship-built at Dock; transport unit
- Trade Cog-built at Dock; water trade unit
- Man-at-Arms-trained at Barracks; swordsman unit (upgrade for Militia)
- Spearman-trained at Barracks; anti-cavalry unit
- Archer-trained at Archery Range; archer unit
- Skirmisher-trained at Archery Range; ranged anti-archer unit
- Scout Cavalry-trained at Stable; scouting unit
- Galley-built at Dock; galley unit
Buildings Available Edit
- Archery Range-trains and upgrades archers, Skirmishers, and Cavalry Archers (Castle Age)
- Stable-trains and upgrades knights, Camels (Castle Age), and Light Cavalry (Castle Age)
Research Available Edit
Economic Technologies Edit
- Town Watch-research at Town Center; +4 building LOS
- Wheelbarrow-research at Town Center; +10% villager speed; +25% villager capacity
- Horse Collar-research at Mill; farm +75 food
- Double-Bit Axe-research at Lumber Camp; +20% wood-chopping speed
- Stone Mining-research at Mining Camp; +15% stone-mining speed
- Gold Mining-research at Mining Camp; +15% gold mining speed
- Cartography-research at Market; see ally LOS
- Coinage-research at Market; decreases tribute fee to 20%
Military Technologies Edit
- Tracking-research at Barracks; +2 Infantry LOS
- Bloodlines - research at stable; mounted units +20 HP
- Scale Mail Armor -research at Blacksmith; +1/+1p infantry armor
- Fletching -research at Blacksmith; +1 attack/range for archers, galleys, Longboats, Town Center, Castles, towers
- Padded Archer Armor-research at Blacksmith; +1/+1P armor
- Forging-research at Blacksmith; +1 infantry/cavalry attack
- Scale Barding Armor-research at Blacksmith; +1/+1P cavalry armor
- Italians: Advancing to Feudal age costs 450 food.
- Ethiopians: Receive +100 food, +100 gold when advancing to Feudal age.
The Feudal Age is generally where different civilizations begin to stand out. Archer, Cavalry, and Ship-based civilizations can begin training basic units of their specialities in this age. The Feudal Age is also where military clashes usually begin to occur. Players should consider starting on their stone-mining in preparation for castle-building in the Castle Age. Players should also beging walling off weaknesses in their base defenses to prevent an early attack from other players.
"The Frankish Empire assembled by Charlemagne in the ninth century can be considered the end of the Dark Age in Europe and the beginning of the Feudal Age. Barbarian tribal groups that overran much of Western Europe were giving way to better-organized regional powers. The church in Rome was providing a unifying social fabric. Charlemagne attempted to revive learning and encouraged a new interest in the arts. His empire fractured after his death, however, and new waves of barbarians undid much of his work. Political and economic power shifted away from kings to local lords who ruled within a shifting hierarchy of vassalage. The common people worked the land to support the hierarchy of nobles and churchmen above them."—Age of Empires II manual