|Fast Fire Ship|
|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Training Time||36 seconds|
|Attack||3 pierce, 1 melee|
|Attack Bonuses|| +4 vs Ship|
+3 vs Turtle Ship
+3 vs Building
|Rate of Fire||0.25|
|Armor Classes||Ship (+9)|
|Line of Sight||6|
|Upgraded From||Fire Ship|
"Stronger than Fire Ship. Spews fire at other ships."—Age of Empires II description
The Fast Fire Ship is a naval vessel in Age of Empires II that can be trained at the Dock once the Imperial Age is reached. Like its predecessor, it is a ship with a "flamethrower" mounted on the bow. The Fast Fire Ship has an attack bonus against other ships, but it must come in very close to enemy ships in order to attack.
In comparison to its predecessor, the Fast Fire Ship deals more damage and is better armored. As the name suggests, the Fast Fire Ship is also faster than its predecessor and now able to catch up with Galleons, which is a major improvement. The attack rate, however, remains the same.
Although the Fast Fire Ship is better on a close confrontation against a Galleon, Galleons are usually preferred for their lower cost and superior range which can increase benefits from scouting. In large-scale confrontations, a fleet of Galleons can defeat a fleet of Fast Fire Ships comfortably due to their superior range, but if properly supported by other naval vessels, a fleet of Fast Fire Ships can sink down a fleet of Galleons easily. Fast Fire Ships are also vulnerable against Demolition Ships and Turtle Ships, two other ship types that require a close range to attack.
Further statistics Edit
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Transport Ships, Fishing Ships, buildings in the shoreline, melee units in the shallows, Galleons, Cannon Galleons|
|Weak vs.||Demolition Ships, Turtle Ships, Longboats, Towers, Castles, ranged siege units on the shoreline|
|Range||Greek Fire (+1, Byzantines only)|
|Speed||Dry Dock (+15%)|
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Shipwright (+54%)|
|Train cost||Shipwright (-20%)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Fast Fire Ships are created 15% faster.
- Berbers: Fast Fire Ships move 10% faster.
- Byzantines: Fast Fire Ships fire 25% faster.
- Italians: Researching Careening, Dry Dock, and Shipwright is 50% cheaper.
- Persians: Fast Fire Ships are created 20% faster. Careening and Dry Dock are researched 20% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Malians: Researching Ballistics is 80% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Fast Fire Ships are more resistant to conversion.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Fast Fire Ships have 120 HP.
- Fast Fire Ships have 8 pierce armor and 6 bonus armor against anti-ship attacks.
- Shipwright reduces the wood cost by 20%.
The Conquerors Edit
- Fast Fire Ships now have 8 pierce armor and 7 bonus armor against anti-ship attacks.
- With patch 1.0c, Shipwright also decreases train time by 35% now.
- Heresy introduced.
The Forgotten Edit
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Fast Fire Ships now have 9 pierce armor and 9 bonus armor against anti-ship attacks.
- Fire Galley introduced.
- With patch 4.8, Fast Fire Ships are affected by Ballistics.
The Rise of Rajas Edit
- Fast Fire Ship now have 8 pierce armor again.
- The Fire Ships are the only units in the game without an integer range.
- The Fast Fire Ship and the Fire Ship are the only units in the game to deal both melee and pierce damage.
- Fast Fire Ships deal bonus damage against the cheat unit Saboteur (since The Conquerors) because it is in the same unit class as ships.
The fire ship was improved over the years to increase its speed, maneuverability, and armor. Constantinople was successfully defended by its navy of fast fire ships for many centuries.