|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors. For the armor class, see Armor Class: Eagle Warrior. For the related unit in Age of Empires III, see Eagle Runner Knight.|
|Introduced In||The Conquerors|
|Training Time||32 seconds|
|Attack Bonuses|| +8 vs Monk|
+3 vs Cavalry
+3 vs Siege Weapon
+1 vs Ship
+1 vs Camel
|Rate of Fire||2.03|
|Armor Classes|| Infantry|
|Line of Sight||6|
|Upgraded From||Eagle Scout|
|Upgrades To||Elite Eagle Warrior|
|Upgrade Cost||800 Food, 500 Gold|
|Upgrade Time||50 seconds|
"Stronger than Eagle Scout. Fast infantry with extensive sight."—Age of Empires II description
Eagle Warriors replace the cavalry for the Native American civilizations. Consequently, the Aztecs and Mayans start the game in The Conquerors with an Eagle Warrior as a scout. Since The Forgotten, they have to be upgraded from their newly introduced predecessor, the Eagle Scout. As a logical consequence, the Eagle Scout replaces the Eagle Warrior as the starting scouting unit for the Native Americans.
Eagle Warriors move quickly, have a long Line of Sight, conversion resistance, and an attack bonus against Monks. They also have an attack bonus against siege weapons and a small anti-cavalry bonus, however, almost every other infantry unit deals bonus damage against Eagle Warriors. Essentially, they help compensate for the Aztecs', Mayans', and Incas' lack of cavalry.
All of the three Native American civilizations have a distinctive buff for Eagle Warriors that comes from one of their unique technologies. Because of this, each of the three civilizations can use Eagle Warriors in a different way once they reach the Imperial Age.
The Aztec unique technology Garland Wars provides +4 attack, making them better raiders, striking down an enemy Villagers with just three hits. They are a good counter to archers, cavalry, and Monks. Due to their weakness against other infantry, they are usually paired with the Aztec' infantry destroyer, the Jaguar Warrior.
In The Forgotten, the Incan unique technology Couriers gives +10% more movement speed to the Eagle Warrior and their unique units (Kamayuk and Slinger). Incan Eagle Warriors were arguably the worst of the three since the only buff they received was a little speed, but this speed bonus can become very helpful when an Incan player tries to raid a town or tries to perform hit-and-run tactics. This was changed in The African Kingdoms, where Couriers gives extra armor to the Eagle Warrior and their two unique units now. With Couriers in The African Kingdoms, Eagle Warriors are as resistant against arrow fire as Huskarls, making them even better against archers. Incan Eagle Warriors are usually paired with both Kamayuks and Slingers to counter cavalry and infantry, respectively.
The Mayan unique technology El Dorado provides +40 hit points, making them more durable a highly valuable in pitched battles. Pairing them with Plumed Archers works well since the Plumed Archer is a counter for infantry units that can put the Eagle Warrior in danger. Also, the Plumed Archer sits in a similar speed tier, meaning the two units work very well together.
Further Statistics Edit
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Archers, siege weapons, Monks|
|Weak vs.||Cataphracts, Boyars, Hand Cannoneers, Janissaries, infantry, Slingers|
|Hit Points||El Dorado (Mayans only)|
|Attack||Forging, Iron Casting, Blast Furnace, Arson (increases attack against buildings), Garland Wars (Aztecs only)|
|Armor||Scale Mail Armor, Chain Mail Armor, Plate Mail Armor, Couriers (Incas only in The African Kingdoms)|
|Speed||Squires, Couriers (Incas only in The Forgotten)|
|Conversion Defense||Faith, Heresy|
|Upgrades||Eagle Warriors can be upgraded to Elite Eagle Warriors|
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Eagle Warriors are created 15% faster.
Team Bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, researching Conscription is 25% faster.
- A team containing Goths: Eagle Warriors are created and upgraded 20% faster. Researching Tracking, Squires, and Arson is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Eagle Warriors are more resistant to conversion.
The Conquerors Edit
- The Eagle Warrior is the starting scouting unit for the Native American civilizations.
- Eagle Warriors have 4 attack before the Castle Age is reached, then 7.
- Eagle Warriors have 50 HP.
- Eagle Warriors have 2 pierce armor.
- Eagle Warriors take 35 seconds to train.
- Eagle Warriors move at a speed of 1.1.
- Eagle Warriors have an attack bonus of +2 upon reaching the Castle Age.
The Forgotten Edit
- The Eagle Warrior receives a predecessor, the Eagle Scout, and hence loses its status as starting scouting unit.
- Eagle Warriors now have 7 base attack.
- Eagle Warriors now have 55 HP.
- Eagle Warriors now have 3 pierce armor.
- Eagle Warriors now train in 32 seconds.
- The upgrade to the Eagle Warrior costs 300F/200G.
- Eagle Warriors now have an attack bonus of +3 against cavalry and now also +1 against Camels and ships.
- Eagle Warriors reskinned.
- Incas: Couriers gives Eagle Warriors +10% movement speed.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- The upgrade to the Eagle Warrior now costs 200F/200G.
- Eagle Warrior speed changed from 1.1 to 1.2.
- Incas: Couriers now gives +1/+2 armor instead of +10% movement speed.
- The three Eagle units are the only infantry units to cost more gold than food and, in terms of gold, are the most expensive infantry units in the game. In terms of food, however, they are by far the cheapest infantry in the game.
- Eagle Scouts deal bonus damage against the cheat unit Saboteur because it is in the same unit class as ships.
"The Aztecs prized fighting skills, and soldiers earned increased status in society through distinction in combat and promotion in rank. One of the higher ranks was that of Eagle Warrior. These fighters wore great colorful headdresses made of eagle feathers and costumes that enhanced their military bearing. Because they were lightly armored and unencumbered, they were able to move quickly. They were the fast, light troops of the Aztec armies, quickly pouncing on enemies. However, they proved to be at a great disadvantage in combat against Europeans wearing steel armor and using steel weapons.
The best of the Eagle warriors were promoted to Elite status. These were the champions of the Eagle Warrior formations and led the attempts to disable and capture enemies."
|Unit Evolution: Eagle Scout|