Close to Home is a scenario available in the Age of Mythology: Extended Edition from patch 2.0. It was previously developed for players who pre-ordered the original game. The scenario can be played by loading the aom_special_scenario.scn file.
Reginleif returns to her home village, most likely after the Fall of the Trident. The reason given is that four Underworld Passages have opened in the nearby forest, and the forces of Hades are leaking out of the portals, and Reginleif must destroy the portals to defend her village.
- While building up and defending your town, scout for the underworld passages.
- Find and destroy all four underworld passages.
- Reginleif (Thor) - Starts with a few Gatherers, dwarves, Ulfsarks, and a Hersir (along with Reginleif herself) with a small sizable base in the south. On lower difficulties, the player also receives towers.
- Hades Forces (Hades) - Commonly fights with Minions, Mummies, and Shades, and has two "possessed" wolves that scout the map constantly. The Minions are summoned when the player has caused enough damage to the Passages. In Titan difficulty, Fire Giants also join.
Given that the enemies faced are mostly myth units, it is recommended to create an army consisting of mostly Hersir, to speed up the destruction of the Underworld Passages, a few Portable Rams are also recommended.
- It does not make sense for the Greek god Hades to harass Norsemen, as apart from being part of another pantheon, Hades almost never interfered with the surface world (save for the abduction of Persephone and his sexual approach of the nymph Minthe), that was outside his domain.
- Instead, it would be more proper if a deity or creature from one of the underground Nine Worlds was in his place, such as Hel, or the Fire Giant Surtr.
- The inclusion of Hades may simply either be as a connection between the Norse, Greek and Egyptian mythologies, in the same explanation for Bandits attacking the Atlanteans, the Trojan War and Sinking of Atlantis occurring at the same time, and Niordsir reaching Egypt.