|Introduced in||The Age of Kings|
|Research Time||100 seconds|
|Effect||Allows creation of gunpowder units; +1 attack for siege units and archers|
Chemistry is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the University once the Imperial Age is reached. Once researched, it increases the attack of all missile and siege units by +1. Also, it enables the creation of gunpowder units to all civilizations except for the Aztecs, Huns, Incas, and Mayans.
Civilizations Bonuses Edit
Team Bonuses Edit
- A team containing Malians: Researching Chemistry is 80% faster.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Chemistry does not affect Castles and Town Centers.
- Chemistry gives Scorpions +2 attack.
- Chemistry affects all arrows fired.
The Conquerors Edit
- Chemistry now gives Scorpions +1 attack.
- Chemistry now affects Castles and Town Centers.
- Chemistry only affects the first arrow fired.
The science of chemistry was very crude during the Middle Ages and devoted almost entirely to finding ways to convert base metals into gold. This study was called alchemy and practitioners were called alchemists. Alchemists occasionally stumbled upon useful chemicals by accident. The most significant result of chemistry experiments was the European acquisition of gunpowder, which had been invented many centuries earlier by the Chinese.
|Missile / Siege Technologies|
|Fletching | Bodkin Arrow | Bracer | Padded Archer Armor | Leather Archer Armor | Ring Archer Armor | Ballistics | Murder Holes | Heated Shot | Arrowslits | Chemistry | Siege Engineers | Thumb Ring | Parthian Tactics|