To use these cheat codes, press Enter during game play to bring up a text box, enter the code and press Enter again. The codes are not case sensitive so it will always work as long as it is spelled correctly.
Main article: Cheat Units (Age of Empires II)
- How do you turn this on: Creates a Shelby Cobra armed with machine guns.
- To smithereens: Creates a Saboteur. This unit is also available in the Scenario Editor.
- Natural wonders: Control nature, but lose control of your civilization. This condition is irreversible.
- I love the monkey head: Creates a VMDL that does nothing except spying the enemy. Buildings can fire if garrisoned.
- Furious the monkey boy: Creates Furious the Monkey Boy. Multiple units of this type cannot be selected to move and attack unless they are close together. It is also available in the Scenario Editor.
- I don't exist : summons a Penguin ( only in The Forgotten expansion).
- Ninjaconnor: Gives 100000 of each resource (only in The Forgotten expansion).
- Ninjalui: same as ninjaconnor.
- Rowshep: same as ninjaconnor and ninjalui.
- Note: In Age of Empires II HD, the following cheats give ten times as much resources - 10 000 instead of 1000.
- Cheese Steak Jimmy's: Gives 1000 Food.
- Lumberjack: Gives 1000 Wood.
- Robin Hood: Gives 1000 Gold.
- Rock On: Gives 1000 Stone.
- Marco: Map Revealed (On-Off mode)
- Polo: Fog eliminated (On-Off mode)
- Aegis: Instant building, researching, resource gathering and training that applies for all players, the AI included. It is interesting to note that this kills units that are constructing buildings, but it is not known why. Can be toggled on or off if used repeatedly.
- If this is not enabled, use this cheat code to enable. If this is enabled, use the cheat code to disable.
- I R Winner: Win the game instantly.
- Resign: Instantly Lose the game.
- Black Death: All enemies die, including allies.
- Wimpywimpywimpy: You commit suicide.
- Torpedo <1-8>: Slay selected opponent.
- Woof Woof: Turns birds into flying dogs.
- !Mute': Stops enemies from using taunts.
- !Nomute: Undoes the !mute code.
- The Saboteur cheat appears in the Age of Empires II: The Conquerors expansion. The Petard, an almost identical unit, is available for all civilizations.