|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires. For the unit in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten, see Centurion (Age of Empires II).|
|Rate of Fire||Fast|
The Centurion is a common unit, the following civilizations can train them:
- Note: The Palmyrans don't get Centurions for lacking the Aristocracy upgrade
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2 points.
- Scale Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3 points.
- Chain Mail Infantry: Increases armor by 2 points.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1 point.
- Aristocracy: increases Speed by 25%
- Note: Aristocracy is the prerequisite for upgrading Phalanx to Centurion, they will always be 25% faster than un-upgraded Hoplites
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Greek: Centurions are 30% faster.
- Carthaginian: Centurions have 25% more HP, which means they will have 200 HP instead of the normal 160 HP in other civilizations.
- Macedonian: Centurions have +2 Pierce Armour when dealing with ranged units, have +2 Line of sight and are four times more resistant to enemy conversions.
"The smallest tactical unit in the Roman army trusted with independent maneuver was the century, standing 100 man strong (later 80 with the remaining 20 comprising administrative staff and hangers-on). Each century was commanded by a Centurion, a veteran promoted from the ranks after demonstrating bravery, skill, discipline, and leadership. The century was roughly equivalent to the modern infantry platoon and the Centurion was a combination of modern infantry platoon commander (usually a Lieutenant) and top sergeant. Centuries were further organised into cohorts - six centuries per cohort (480 men total) - with the most senior centurion taking overall command of the cohort, akin to a modern infantry company and infantry company commander (usually a Captain or Major). Centurions were the backbone of the legions that built and defended the Roman Empire."—The Age of Empires manual
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Naval||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaut|
|The Rise of Rome expansion|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|