|This article is about the cavalry units in Age of Mythology. For cavalry units in other games of the series, see Cavalry.|
In Age of Mythology, Cavalry Units are mounted soldiers that fight in close combat with enemies, and are hence distinguished from Infantry and Archers. Cavalrymen are also human units, rather than the superhuman Heroes or monstrous myth units. Counter-cavalry units gain a bonus against all the cavalry listed below. There are also a few units that are mounted but not considered cavalry for game purposes.
Apart from the Hetairoi unit, which is also available at the Fortress, all cavalry units are available at the Stable.
Contarii are available at the Military Barracks.
- Scout Cavalry
- Mounted Archer (dual-classed; both an archer and a cavalry unit)
- War Chariot
- General (Can boost nearby units' morale like Arkantos.)
Mounted non-Cavalry Units Edit
- Chariot Archer (on horseback but considered an archer)
- Turma (same as Chariot Archer)
- Kataskopos (considered a Scout, originally a Light Cavalry unit)
Units that were cut, and or removed before release, along with a couple of existing, but non-trainable cavalry units:
- Cataphract (Greek cataphracts, Hades unique unit)
- Norse Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry (Heavy anti-archer cavalry, and light anti-cavalry cavalry units respectively.
- Egyptian Chariot (Anti-Cavalry)
Brief Comparison Table Edit
Some details worth to mention:
- Hippikon, Raiding Cavalry, Contarius: x1.25 against archers
- Raiding Cavalry upgradable to: x3.25 against archers and x3.75 against Throwing Axeman (Baldr)
- Prodromos: x3 against cavalry
- Camelry: x1.75 against cavalry
- Cataphract: x3 against infantry
- General does not benefit from Castle units upgrades.
Beneficial Gods for Cavalry Edit
- Poseidon (Lord of Horses, cavalry cost 10% less, Stables cost 15% less)
- Hermes (Spirited Charge)
- Dionysus (Thracian Horses)
- Ra (+12% HP and +10% speed for Camelry)
- Hathor (Medjay)
- Thoth (Tusks of Apedemak, Valley of the Kings)
- Osiris (Desert Wind)