A Cathedral is a large unconstructable building in Age of Empires II. It is used as an aesthetic building for large cities, but usually as the focal point of an objective. It is the largest building available on the game, larger even than a Wonder. The British Wonder is basically a Cathedral, but on a smaller scale. Even though it is the largest, it does not have proportional hit points having even less than a simple Monastery.
Here is a list of a few occurrences of the Cathedral building.
- Pope and Antipope - The player must convert the Cathedral in the city of Milan to win the scenario. Destroying it will result in the player's defeat.
- The Maid of Orleans - There is a Cathedral in Orleans which must remain standing, or else the player loses.
- The Rising - There is a Cathedral in Rheims.
- The Siege of Paris - The British have a Cathedral in Paris.
- Tours - The player owns a Cathedral in Tours, where the player may bring the Trade Carts from Poitiers (under Moorish control) to the area outside the Cathedral. However it is not necessary to keep the Cathedral standing.
- Tales of La Canela - there is a Cathedral in Quito.