|Introduced in||The Age of Kings|
|Research time||0 seconds|
|Effect||See allies' Line of Sight|
Cartography is a very helpful technology in the early part of the game, especially when allied with computer players. Players wishing to see the Line of Sight of their enemies will have to research Spies, but this is only available in the Imperial Age and is quite costly.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Portuguese: Start the game with Cartography researched.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Cartography costs 100F/100G.
- Cartography takes 60 seconds to research.
The Forgotten Edit
- Cartography is free to research and is researched almost instantly.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- With patch 5.7, Cartography is researched automatically as soon as a Market is built.
There was a revival of European learning after the Dark Ages that started mainly in the monasteries of the Christian Church, particularly in Ireland. The west Europeans were far behind the educational standards of the Byzantines, the Saracens, and the Chinese. Part of this revival was an interest in geography that became even more pronounced when the Crusaders and adventurers brought back tales of exotic trade goods and riches beyond the horizon. Kings and churchmen commissioned maps and cartography, the science of map making, became a newly prized skill.
|Economic technologies in Age of Empires II|
Town Center: I: Loom II: Wheelbarrow III: Hand Cart