|This article is about the unit. For the technology, see Cannon Galleon (Technology).|
|Type||Naval Vessel, Gunpowder Unit|
|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Training Time||46 seconds|
|Attack Bonuses|| +200 vs Building|
+40 vs Siege Weapon
+15 vs Infantry
+15 vs Archer
+15 vs Cavalry
|Rate of Fire||10|
|Armor Classes|| Ship|
|Line of Sight||15|
|Upgrades To||Elite Cannon Galleon|
|Upgrade Cost||525 Wood, 500 Gold|
|Upgrade Time||30 seconds|
|Required Research||Cannon Galleon|
"Long-range warship used to attack targets on shore to establish beachhead."—Age of Empires II description
The Cannon Galleon is a naval vessel in Age of Empires II that can be trained at the Dock once the Imperial Age is reached. To build Cannon Galleons, the Cannon Galleon technology must be researched first.
Cannon Galleons have an exceptionally long range and deal very large bonus damage against buildings. They can outrange Castles and Bombard Towers, so they are almost the sea-going equivalent to Bombard Cannons, only being slightly faster. They deal decent damage, but their slow Rate of Fire, slow projectile speed, and minimum range make them weak and ineffective against ships, particularly Fire Ships.
Cannon Galleons should always be deployed with an escort, most likely Fire Ships and Galleons. As they outrange Towers and Castles, Cannon Galleons should be used for safely dealing with such structures that deal bonus damage against ships.
Generally speaking, Cannon Galleons should be used primarily to clear the shoreline of enemy buildings, and occasionally to harass land units at range. They should not be used against enemy ships, and ships are in fact the best way to deal with them, provided sea control has not been lost completely.
Spanish Cannon Galleons are significantly better than the ones of all other civilizations, because their projectiles are much faster (7 tiles/second instead of 1.95 tiles/s) and hit moving targets with Ballistics-like behavior. The Ballistics research is not required, however.
Further Statistics Edit
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Weak vs.||Ships, Bombard Cannons, Monks|
|Range||Artillery (Turks only)|
|Accuracy||Arquebus (Portuguese only)|
|Armor||Careening, Carrack (Portuguese only)|
|Conversion Defense||Faith, Heresy|
|Upgrades||Cannon Galleons can be upgraded to Elite Cannon Galleons|
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Berbers: Cannon Galleons move 10% faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Celts: Cannon Galleons can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Cannon Galleons are 20% cheaper.
- Italians: Cannon Galleons are 20% cheaper. Researching Careening, Dry Dock, and Shipwright is 50% cheaper. Upgrading to Elite Cannon Galleon is 50% cheaper.
- Persians: Cannon Galleons are created 20% faster. Careening, Dry Dock, and the upgrade to the Elite Cannon Galleon are researched 20% faster.
- Portuguese: Cannon Galleons have +10% HP and cost 15% less gold.
- Spanish: Cannon Galleons have Ballistics-like accuracy and faster missiles.
- Turks: Cannon Galleons have +25% HP. Upgrading to Elite Cannon Galleon is 50% cheaper.
- Vikings: Cannon Galleons are 20% cheaper.
Team Bonuses Edit
- A team containing Turks: Cannon Galleons are created 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Cannon Galleons are more resistant to conversion.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Shipwright reduces the wood cost by 20%.
- Britons: Cannot build Cannon Galleons.
- Turks: Cannon Galleons have +50% HP.
The Conquerors Edit
- With patch 1.0c, Shipwright also decreases train time by 35% now.
- Heresy introduced.
- Huns: Can build Cannon Galleons.
- Spanish: Cannon Galleon's projectiles are affected by the technology Ballistics and are 4× faster.
- Turks: Artillery introduced. Cannon Galleons now have +25% HP.
The Forgotten Edit
- Britons: Cannon Galleon added to the technology tree.
- Huns: Cannon Galleon removed from the technology tree.
- Italians: Cannon Galleons are 15% cheaper.
- Spanish: Cannon Galleons fire with Ballistics-like accuracy (without need for the technology itself) and their cannonballs move at 7 tiles/s (~3.6× faster).
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Italians: With patch 4.8, Cannon Galleons are now 20% cheaper.
- Cannon Galleons are the only non-unique gunpowder units that can be upgraded.
- Cannon Galleons and Elite Cannon Galleons share the same icon. They are the only non-unique units to do so.
Primitive cannon were first mounted on ships in the fourteenth century. These were mounted in the stern or bow for firing forward or aft. Small weapons were mounted on the rails for use against enemy crews in close action. The first ship built specifically for carrying cannon appeared in 1406. Effectively mounting a large number of cannons on a ship took many years to work out. It required new designs to compensate for the enormous weight of the guns high on the ship’s sides. Tackle had to be designed to allow the guns to be fired and reloaded safely. Safe procedures were also needed for storing and accessing powder. Useful cannon galleons did not appear until late in the Middle Ages.
|Unit Evolution: Cannon Galleon|
Cannon Galleon --> Elite Cannon Galleon