|Introduced in||The African Kingdoms|
|Research time||40 seconds|
|Effect|| Gunpowder units fire more accurately at moving targets|
Increases projectile speed of Bombard Cannons and Bombard Towers by +0.2
Arquebus is a technology in Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms that is unique to the Portuguese and can be researched at the Castle once the Imperial Age is reached. Once researched, it provides Portuguese gunpowder units with the same accuracy boost that arrow-using units gain by researching Ballistics, i.e. they aim at moving targets as accurately as at non-moving targets. Arquebus also increases the speed of the projectiles.
Researching Ballistics is not necessary to make Arquebus work.
Arquebus is the cornerstone of the Portuguese army in the Imperial Age. It is highly useful if the player favors the use of Hand Cannoneers and Organ Guns due to it increasing the accuracy of those units at longer ranges. This lets them neutralize incoming melee units more effectively, thus remedying one of their major weaknesses. It also benefits Bombard Cannons, Bombard Towers, and Cannon Galleons, making them more effective when dealing with moving targets, which helps them defending a location.
Team bonuses Edit
The African Kingdoms Edit
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- Arquebus now has a smaller effect on gunpowder units, the speed modifier is reduced by 75%.
- With patch 5.2, the speed modifier for Bombard Cannons and Bombard Towers is removed.
- With patch 5.7, the speed modifier for Bombard Cannons and Bombard Towers is now +0.2.
- Despite being invented much later, the Arquebus was markedly less accurate than the archaic hand cannon due to the greatly decreased powder load, especially at longer ranges. If anything, the upgrade should have decreased the overall accuracy of Portuguese gunpowder units rather than increasing it. A more accurate choice would have been Rifling, which was invented around the mid 15th century.
- Bombard Towers already benefit from regular Ballistics, however they can still easily miss, as their cannonballs travel quite slowly. The additional speed increase of Arquebus makes them a lot more potent than regular Bombard Towers with Ballistics.
|Age of Empires II unique technologies|
|Garland Wars | Yeomen | Logistica | Furor Celtica | Rocketry | Bearded Axe | Anarchy | Perfusion | Atheism | Kataparuto | Shinkichon | El Dorado | Drill | Mahouts | Zealotry | Supremacy | Crenellations | Artillery | Berserkergang|
|Atlatl | Warwolf | Greek Fire | Stronghold | Great Wall | Chivalry | Marauders | Andean Sling | Couriers | Sultans | Shatagni | Pavise | Silk Road | Yasama | Panokseon | Mercenaries | Recurve Bow | Obsidian Arrows | Nomads | Boiling Oil | Madrasah | Orthodoxy | Druzhina | Inquisition | Ironclad | Sipahi | Chieftains|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Kasbah | Maghrabi Camels | Tigui | Farimba | Royal Heirs | Torsion Engines | Carrack | Arquebus|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Howdah | Manipur Cavalry | Tusk Swords | Double Crossbow | Thalassocracy | Forced Levy | Chatras | Paper Money|