|Introduced In||The Age of Kings|
|Trained At||Archery Range|
|Training Time||27 seconds|
|Attack Bonuses||+3 vs Spearman|
|Rate of Fire||2.03|
|Line of Sight||7|
"Stronger than Crosbowman. Quick and light."—Age of Empires II description
Arbalests work better in large groups as they can fire arrow volleys at the opponents' units. Arbalests are very good at slowing down massed infantry, as well as inflicting severe damage. They are vulnerable to cavalry as they can close the distance with the fragile Arbalest before taking too much damage. As such they should be deployed with an escort.
Pairing Arbalests with Halberdiers works especially well since the Halberdier can cover the Arbalest's main weakness that is cavalry. Pairing the Arbalest with other melee units can also protect them from siege units.
If playing defensively, Arbalests can become a good tool to protect a walled area as they can attack enemy units from behind the Wall at a relatively safe distance, even protecting themselves from melee cavalry. However, they do almost no damage to Rams.
Further Statistics Edit
|Unit Strengths and Weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Infantry, Villagers, Janissaries, Hand Cannoneers|
|Weak vs.||Skirmishers, Scorpions, Mangonels, cavalry, Huskarls, Eagle Warriors|
|Attack||Fletching, Bodkin Arrow, Bracer, Chemistry, Obsidian Arrows (Mayans only, gives attack bonus against buildings)|
|Range||Fletching, Bodkin Arrow, Bracer, Yeomen (Britons only)|
|Firing Rate||Thumb Ring|
|Accuracy||Thumb Ring, Ballistics|
|Armor||Padded Archer Armor, Leather Archer Armor, Ring Archer Armor, Pavise (Italians only)|
|Conversion Defense||Faith, Heresy|
Civilization Bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Arbalests are created 15% faster.
- Britons: Arbalests have +2 range.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Arbalests are 20% cheaper.
- Ethiopians: Arbalests fire 15% faster.
- Mayans: Arbalests are 30% cheaper.
- Portuguese: Arbalests cost 15% less gold.
- Vietnamese: Arbalests have +20% hit points. Conscription is free.
Team Bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, researching Conscription is 25% faster.
- A team containing Britons: Arbalests are created 20% faster. Researching Thumb Ring is 20% faster.
- A team containing Magyars: Arbalests have +2 LOS.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Chemistry and Ballistics is 80% faster.
- A team containing Saracens: Arbalests have +1 attack against buildings.
- A team containing Teutons: Arbalests are more resistant to conversion.
The Conquerors Edit
- Arbalests receive an attack bonus of +3 against Spearmen.
- Heresy introduced.
- Thumb Ring introduced.
- Britons: Yeomen introduced.
The Forgotten Edit
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Arbalests were a particularly heavy and powerful type of crossbow developed in the mid-to-late Middle Ages. The naming this class of soldier an "Arbalest" is incorrect since the word denotes the weapon instead of the wielder. It would be more correctly referred to with the name "Arbalist", which refers to a person that shoots the crossbow.
- In terms of wood, the units from the Archer line are the cheapest archers in the game.
"The arbalest was an advanced crossbow made of steel. The greater tensile strength of steel gave the weapon greater power."
|Unit Evolution: Archer|
|Archer --> Crossbowman --> Arbalest|